Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken ujoint nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: broken ujoint nightmare

Really? They went back to the roto-flex? Wow.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The double cardon joint (the one that usually fails) requires two u-joints ($15 each) and a centering ball joint (in between the two u-joints, at about $27). The other end of the front driveshaft has one u-joint only, if you want to replace it while the driveshaft is off the truck. The single u-joint has a grease zerk already, and if regularly serviced, should be okay(barring very high mileage). I replaced my own u-joints, however it's a little tricky for a novice mechanic. The removal of the old centering ball is a bit of a bother(it's pressed in), and the u-joint re-assembly (without misplacing any of the needle bearings) is moderately tricky.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my wheel locks last night and asked the owner about his drive shaft. We crawled underneath and all of the u-joints (for the front at least) were sealed. He has an '02 D2 with about 50K. It was fun to show him around his truck and compare it to mine and see the differences. I pointed him towards this board and Cerrone's to get the info on a rebuilt d/s. Hope to see him on here. Hi Mark!!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
4wd Low

i get that they save money, i own a business, it is all about the bottom line. but how much money has the average (uninformed) consumer dumped into this flaw? i'm sure we have spent more than they have saved.. at what point does LR send out a service bulletin or a recall notice? isn't this dangerous? i want to put little flyers on the windows of every disco i see that says, "change your front u joint while its still a 23.00 (?!) fix and not a 3000.00 plus repair!"
my cousins disco 2 front u joint failed also and he said it exploded on the highway like shrapnel. i've read the driveshaft could go into the passengers compartment or catapult a car...do you think that is true?
i am glad we are all safe and that my sad story is reminding you to lube it, change it, avoid it, whatever!!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 PM
4wd Low

oops. my husband just informed me that he spent over 4500.00 on our repair. (with used tranny)
i am still in denial.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doomed, I have also heard that 'catapult scenario'. I think they even did a show about it on mythbusters. If I recall correctly they weren't able to get it to catapult under normal conditions. Anybody remember?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: doomed

i get that they save money, i own a business, it is all about the bottom line. but how much money has the average (uninformed) consumer dumped into this flaw? i'm sure we have spent more than they have saved.. at what point does LR send out a service bulletin or a recall notice? isn't this dangerous? i want to put little flyers on the windows of every disco i see that says, "change your front u joint while its still a 23.00 (?!) fix and not a 3000.00 plus repair!"
my cousins disco 2 front u joint failed also and he said it exploded on the highway like shrapnel. i've read the driveshaft could go into the passengers compartment or catapult a car...do you think that is true?
i am glad we are all safe and that my sad story is reminding you to lube it, change it, avoid it, whatever!!
Saving money at the riskwhile subjecting someone to possiblepersonal injury is (of course) unacceptable, and it slays me LR has not been taken to task on this. I'm hoping Disco Mike checks in on this regarding any recall action, since he has a lot of experience in dealing with that process (I imagine so anyway) while working for LR. My local dealer is so lame I really don't trust much of what they tell me, and for my "money" whatever Mikewould haveto say on that subject is gospel.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If the front d/sfails at the double cardon you won't need to worry about it catapulting the truck. You would have to be driving in reverse or have it fail at the diff for any catapulting action.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 PM
8th Gear

I have read success stories on other forums that you insurance company "might" pick it up if you have full coverage. Oddly enough it seems my insurance co. would consider it. If they tell you, "sorry that's normal wear and tear" don't buy it. Complain, Complain, complain, and let them know that a u-joint exploding is not normal wear and tear with a regularly serviced vehicle...

Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: brian4d

I have read success stories on other forums that you insurance company "might" pick it up if you have full coverage. Oddly enough it seems my insurance co. would consider it. If they tell you, "sorry that's normal wear and tear" don't buy it. Complain, Complain, complain, and let them know that a u-joint exploding is not normal wear and tear with a regularly serviced vehicle...

At 101000 miles I think someone would be hard pressed to say that its not normal wear and tear.

They may have better luck saying that the service place should have seen it.

Quick Reply: broken ujoint nightmare