Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brush guard suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brush guard suggestions.

Now that all of the maintenance is pretty much taken care of, I'd like to focus on the finer things...like offroad accessories.

However, I'm kinda dissapointed in the offerings.

I've checked out RoversNorth, RoverParts, and BritishPacific but the only brush/bull guard options I've seen are ARB bars.

At the expense of starting a flame war, I'm really not to keen on them. They look to "industrial". Being a Mac guy, I like both form and function.

What I'm looking for is a sleek, contouredwrap around guard with a hidden winch mount.

A nudge bar (no chrome, please)with a winch mount would also be ok as I can add lamp protectors seperately to achieve the look I want.

I can't find any of these.

Are my options limited to buy a nudge guard that I like and having a shop do some fabrication and then customizethe winch mount?

Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Brush guard suggestions.

I should have looked a little deeper into Roverparts' catalogue.

This set up is nice, but how can one shoe horn a winch on the front?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9457D2.cfm

Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be interested to see if you come up with an option you like. I had some of the same criteria in mind myself, and ended up settling on the ARB as the best mix of form and function. Many of the other popular options--llike the Rovertym--significantly change the look of the Disco. The ARB took a little while to grow on me--it's so much bigger than the stock bumper--but I really like the look now. The contours fit well with the Disco, and it's a beast.

Some will dispute the ARB's winching abilities and talk about Rovertym's superior approach angle, and I can't speak from much experience on these issues...but I can say that the bumper held up incredibly well in my recent front-end collision.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Mudding

Oh, and although I like the look of the Genuine brush guard you linked to, I've been told that it really doesn't offer much protection and will buckle in even a minor impact. But, again, I've never owned one and don't speak from experience.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

funny you should ask that, Urban Panzer just posted a great write up that would work well with that brush bar. Obviously you cant connect a winch to that, that particular bar is more for looks and mounting lights.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/winch.html

All credit of that goes to urban panzer, I am just passing it along. That would be a nice project to work on and I think I would work well with that Brush bar. I hope I interpreted your question right, but thats they way I would do it if you really want that bar and not an ARB one.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, I noticed the thread and it got me thinking.

It's a great write-up that a body shop could use to do the custom mounting. I don't have the necessary tools or ability to pull it off on my own.

I wonder how much shipping costs from the UK?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Shipping anything from the UK to the US is insane, especially if it is a good size. What are you thinking about shipping? I remember calculating the cost of shipping running boards to the UK and it was $270, plus the weight fees.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you're considering spending close to $1,000 for that brushguard from AB, why not get a Rovertym bumper. If you really want the look of the genuine brushguard buy one cheap off Craisgslist (or weld it on top of the slimeline bumper). You can always talk to Steve at RTE, I've seen a pic of a bumper he made that matched the angles of the LR guard on top.

Your best options for bumpers are Rovertym, ARB, TJM, or the custom route.

What would you want shipped from the UK, and what year is your truck?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling

get a rovertym bumper

Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the tip. I sent RTE an email to see what he suggests.

Quick Reply: Brush guard suggestions.