Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brutal assault on front bumper, but nasty rattle remains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brutal assault on front bumper, but nasty rattle remains!

GdayM8s,

My new Disco td5 has a loud tinny vibration from 2200 - 2400 rpm that makes it sound like a "low cost" disposible car. At first I figured it was the catalyst, but lucky me I have no catalyst. I banged on the exhaust but was unable to trigger the rattle. I banged on the RF wheel and there was a rattle. I banged on the RF bumper and it was there too ... so I figured it was loose bits in the bumper support after what appears to have been a minor traffic impact by a previous owner (PO).

So I set out yesterday to attach the bumper correctly. A good afternoon of work! Here's what I came out with:

As you can see, I trimmed off a bit of useless plastic that hung down too low. I found loose mount bolts on both sides, and bent supports on the right side; all fixed now. I trimmed the front inner fender wells and put them back in because they protect the windscreen washer fluid reservoir and pump, plus the back of the headlights, from wheelspray. I also cut in an access slot for the right tow hook so now both hooks are easy to get too.

I'm pretty happy with the results. But that damn rattle is still there! Next I need to get one of my boys to work the throttle while I crawl underneath to find the rattle. I suppose it might be in that huge heavy muffler, and I might be forced to remove it all boo hoo.

But then it might also be some heat shielding around and under the motor. The sound is loudest when the RF window is down. Anybody have a tip?

ps: like those new tires? Hankooks Dynapro MT RT03 245/75-16, very good price, no rubbing yet, and winner of a mud tire comparison test in FourWheeler mag this year. I'm as happy with them as a two-dicked billy goat in a brothel.

pps: yeah yeah I know I need a lift, bad ... I'm workin on it!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Drifting

I guess it was pretty shtoopid of me to think US guys would know anything about the td5 motor and its rattles.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
I guess it was pretty shtoopid of me to think US guys would know anything about the td5 motor and its rattles.
We only wish we knew.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
hmmmmm I live in the US and know about Diesel's 2 1/4, 2 1/2. 200 & 300 Tdi and Td5. Does the rattle come from the front or the rear of the engine, what is the exhaust emisions like at about 2000 rpm?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Drifting

He passed his smog test with flying colors. The only smoke I ever see is when cold in the morning.

The rattle sounds like it's right under the RF seat, natch, where the muffler is. I'm going to bang on that big heat shield above it today, while I measure the OD of the pipe, so I can order up a meter of SS pipe to replace the muffler.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jafir
We only wish we knew.
Agreed, it sucks that you guys only get diesels in big pickups. But there is hope, as small diesels get cleaner they can pass US emissions laws more often. When we come back to the US someday, I will really miss small diesel cars and 4x4s. Our 9-seat diesel van gets 25mpg!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Mudding

Is that because it is not legal to import a highly efficient diesel from Europe?

I know we have the 55 mpg VW Jetta only because it is assembled in Mexico.

Maybe the Brits can open a shop in Mexico?