Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread - Ghaniba's Rover

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Build Thread - Ghaniba's Rover

Hey guys - I've been trolling for a while on this forum - As you can see, signed up quite a while ago, but really haven't been active, since I didn't have a LR yet.

I originally wanted one, because it looked cool. I wanted one to be my winter beater but shy'd away due to all of the rumors of the unreliability and expense to maintain. I bought a Jeep instead. I found myself putting more $$ into it making it more of an offroader. I found myself pulled back into the hobby of offroading. Well, I got to the point where the next stages for the Jeep was going to be about $10k, and doing that, I would be just like the guy in front of me, and the guy behind me... in a Jeep on the trail.

So, I knew I wanted something different. Being a big diesel guy, I said, what about this! A diesel engine into a Samurai! Well, I found a sweet little samurai, Did some work to it, then swapped in a diesel engine... It was totally different, for sure! There was only one thing... I didn't love the truck. I knew the day I bought it that it wasn't the right truck for me. Very cool, but not for me.

The Samurai did change one thing. It was so wretched on the highway, I opted for a tow rig to pull it to the trails. Well, I'm hoping now with my new to me Rover that I'll be able to drive to trails again, I still have the tow rig, which is now just my inclimate weather vehicle, so the rover may stay as a pure offroader.

Enough of my rant - Here's my new rig, from a forum member here that will remain nameless, unless he'd like to show himself.

A 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, Higher mileage, some dents, 2" lift and ~32" tires. Homebrew rear bumper, and an ARB front bumper, which will be removed and sold soon, if anyone is interested.

Before I drove it to my driveway, I brought it into the woods to test. The traction control system really is darn impressive! Since I have experience with various lockers and various rigs, I understand the benefits of true lockers, but for being a truck that is not locked and not great offroad tires -- it really did pretty good! I look forward to updating you guys on things as I go.

Firsts on the list will be the front bumper, rock sliders, and winch systems...

Dave

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

did that come from NH on ebay?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Nope, Maine, Craigslist.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add to this to your list a cdl shifter from lucky 8. A $500 mod and 7 hours of your weekend and you can lock that diff. Amazing with traction control a lot of people on here have done this. I think you would be happier offroading with the mod and there are many threads as well as a YouTube video on how to install.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

close enough

Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Jhill15: Sorry, It already has one from a D1. And yes, works good! Any advantage to the Ashcroft kit compared? I'm sure I could Google this.

Dave

Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you planning on selling the ARB?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Jhill15: Sorry, It already has one from a D1. And yes, works good! Any advantage to the Ashcroft kit compared? I'm sure I could Google this.

Dave
Ashcroft is a replica of the 04 DII shifter, much smoother with the cables versus mechanical. Shameless post here, but price is right... CENTER DIFF LOCKING KIT DISCOVERY II, RNA199 - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Only $389 plus shipping for a less mechanical feel. What a bargain!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

And less of a chance of seizing up, D1 shifters fail constantly in corrosive areas.

Quick Reply: Build Thread - Ghaniba's Rover