Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushings

1999 Disco II 130k

Ok so its about time to get my new brakes and EMU suspension installed, and when i was looking at all the crap behind the wheels i noticed every bushing is very lame and some are just plain crushed. SO i want to replace them all, all the bushings near the wheels....but i dont know what any of them are called or where to find them, i know one of you knows! hahah

if someone could give me the names of all the bushings or a site that sells a kit or something to replace them all, i would appreciate it. TIA

Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Bushings

What does lame mean to you? It is very unusual to have bushings on D2 wear out, are you sure you know how to judge if they are good or not. Doe your truck wonder on the road, does it feel loose or pop when stopping and speeding up?
You an go to Atlantic British and buy a complete bushing set, make sure you don't buy the set for the D1.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Drifting

steering wheel shakes when hitting bumps in the road, especially when braking and hitting those bumps, lame to me is cracking, or in the case of some completely ruptured haha. I can snap some pictures of the destroyed ones when i get off work tomorrow morning if you like.

If its not common to wear out maybe i only need the ones causing my wheel to shake around...ill look closer in the morning at any bushings i can see and check if they look alright.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Drifting

ok heres a couple pics, sry it took so long ive been very busy with work. on second glance i guess these arent even bushings...theyre like seals or something? iuno you tell me what they called so i can buy new ones haha. the big one is just destroyed on passenger side but driver side looks fine, small one looks like that one both sides... could this be what makes my wheel shake or is it just a bad dampener? ill be replacing the dampener as well when i get my suspension installed...

[img=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3072/dscn0252tb6.th.jpg]

[img=http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/923/dscn0253ee7.th.jpg]

Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

OK, that second pic is of a boot that is full of grease, and that first pic looks like it is just excess grease. Somebody else will correct me if I'm wrong. But that is what it looks like to me.
As for the shaking, bad steering damper would be my guess.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Drifting

the thing in the first pic is most definately exploded...guess it was full of grease at one point as well... the smaller ones r cracked and old looking but dont seem to be cracked enough to leak or anything, guess i dont need those quite yet...i just need to know what the big one is called hehe, im sure disco mike will be by to comment in a little

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

the first one is your lower ball joint on the rh side, second is your drag link, also on the rh side, connects your front wheels due to your steering only being connected to the rh side. thats your problem, the joint in your draglink is bad, same sensation as a worn tie rod end on a car with a steering rack. anyway, get this replaced and get it aligned, if youre looking for a perfect ride and dont mind spending some money, also replace your steering rod and steering dampner

Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Drifting

w00t part names, thanx! prob wont be able to find those parts by themselves tho, gotta find a LR mechanic that charges less than the dealership lol.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: detcord

ok heres a couple pics, sry it took so long ive been very busy with work. on second glance i guess these arent even bushings...theyre like seals or something? iuno you tell me what they called so i can buy new ones haha. the big one is just destroyed on passenger side but driver side looks fine, small one looks like that one both sides... could this be what makes my wheel shake or is it just a bad dampener? ill be replacing the dampener as well when i get my suspension installed...

[img=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3072/dscn0252tb6.th.jpg]

[img=http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/923/dscn0253ee7.th.jpg]
You need to replace that lower ball joint, that is critical, the tie rod end or not looking new by any sense.
You can't replace the ball joint, your self so find a good Rover mechanic, not the dealer and have this work done finishing off with an alignment.

Quick Reply: Bushings