Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a roof rack or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Buy a roof rack or not?

OK, ever since I laid eyes on a Land Rover Discovery with an SD roof rack and rear ladder I was hooked. I had to have that set-up even if it was just for looks. Then I learned about it's usefulness for carrying extra loads and what not. (This was around 1996 while in middle school)

Fast forward to now and I have the Discovery of my dreams and rear ladder to no where. I want to complete the rig and my dream with a SD style RoverRacks rack. I have honestly earned the money to buy and ship it to this small island working on friends' LRs but then reality sits in...

It won't be used to carry jerry cans of fuel, nor a tent, or any other off road equipment except for maybe a hi-lift jack. It will most likely be used to take hits from fallen coconuts, or help for when/if my gf and I rent some where else and need to move, and hold my/our weight when I/we climb on it.

I don't mind the slight drawback on the mpg as my commute is about 15 miles a day

So.... do i get it? Do I complete my dream Discovery? Or just put the money towards other mods that are planned for the future? Oh yeah..if i get it i would be the only one on St. Croix with this style roof rack... on any truck.

Last edited by jycsalas; 05-11-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

YES. If you would have said the MPG drop concerns you, then I would have said no.

I like you thought mine would end up being of very little use, but I have found that I use it MUCH more than I expected. Beach stuff, camping stuff, fishing stuff, hi-lift, you name it, I've used my roof rack for it. And i've only had it a few months. You'll find it to be quite useful, and it looks AMAZING to have any type of roof rack on a rover.

But before you buy to quickly, do you drive under low clearance areas often?

And if you off road alot, have you considered installing the CDL option on your disco since the 03 does not come with it? If you do off road, the CDL is the thing to have, and that may be an upgrade you want to do first. But I know in the back of your head you really have a vision of that roof rack on your rover! I can just tell!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the advice Camdisco24... No I don't drive under any low clearance areas. We have no parking garages down here! lol where I live there is no car port/garage...

I DO have CDL! I will change my signature now to list my mods... lol

Last edited by jycsalas; 05-11-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! Well with CDL already on board, I say 100% go for it. Keep an eye out for deals, sometimes the first one you see isnt always the best.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i say yes. i bought a thule hi mount set up because i wanted something smaller then the LR rack and easy to get on and take off.

i can toss my jerry cans, gear, spare, etc up there and it works fine.

clearance is a issue and so is MPG but ohhh well.

plus it gives credit to the disco look

Attached Thumbnails Buy a roof rack or not?-dscn3763.jpg   Buy a roof rack or not?-dscn3768.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't put a roof rack on it, where will you mount your front roof lights and your rear work light??????

Old 05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robmcin
If you don't put a roof rack on it, where will you mount your front roof lights and your rear work light??????
Oh gosh yes and what about limb risers!???

Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a Yakima rack setup for the sake of versatility. I already had Yakima setup on my other SUV, so it was a no brainer. All I had to purchase was a load basket and appropriate gutter clips to transfer the setup to the Disco. Since I use my bike and kayak more often than I'll be doing week long camping - I like not having the basket up there full time. Taking both bike racks and the kayak rack off of one vehicle and switching it to the other is a simply matter of unscrewing 6 locking clips. Takes me no time at all. Bottom line is the versatility can't be beat, as you're able to easily change your rack setup for the intended use for the day on a whim. Also, not having a basket up there full time makes the rear sunroof still useful. For the money, I'd say it's a better way to go...

Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

BUY BUY BUY, NO, SELL SELL SELL!!!

Buy it man!! Why do you even need to ask? Roof racks are like...racks on Rovers, you cant go wrong because they ALL look good.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

I see your side Suede... You make good points. I plan on installing a rack and leaving it up there though. Sunroofs weren't installed on my Disco and if they were I believe the rack I want would allow for them to function. I do participate in Triathlons from time to time but I just fold my rear seats down and and throw my bike in and that keeps it dry and clean from the elements.

At least none of you have said "Dont do it, you will forever regret it!"

Quick Reply: Buy a roof rack or not?