Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 99 Disco II as a Tow Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 99 Disco II as a Tow Vehicle

Hello, all. Obviously, I'm very new here, but I wanted to ask a question to the seasoned veterans in here. My wife and I are planning to full-time RV for 6 months to a year coming up soon. My 02 Golf TDI isn't up to the towing task for the trailer we want, so I've been looking up suitable tow vehicles. The trailer we'll be getting will only be about 3500 lbs max, fully loaded.

I've found a 99 Disco with 38k miles, and I'm about to pull the trigger on it, but I wanted to check opinions here first. I was planning to do the 60k service mentioned in this category right off the bat, even though it's only at 38k.

I've done plenty of maintenance / work on my cars in the past. I had a 2000 Volvo S70 that I redid the entire suspension on, fuel injector seals, brakes, clean the throttle body, etc. And on the 02 Golf I currently have, I've done the usual suspects (oil / filters / fuel filters), as well as brakes, thermostat, oil cooler rings, and more. So I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I don't want to have to plan on stopping every 500 miles of driving the thing to work on it. I could also do the head gasket when I first get it, just as preventative maintenance.

So honest opinions - is a 99 Disco II with 38k miles still going to be a pain in my *** if I decide to go with it as a tow vehicle? I can't seem to find an American car that looks as cush on the inside as the Disco II (besides a more expensive Jeep Grand Cherokee >07), so I'm really hoping this car can work. If anyone thinks towing full time with a Disco II is a bad idea though, please let me know so I don't get in over my head.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

How long is the trailer?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Check the frame for rust, again check the frame.
All 38k is great But everything is 16-years old and will need to be replaced. Cooling hoses, brake hoses etc.
If you have reciepts for repair you can deduct that from what will have to be replaced.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
How long is the trailer?
It's a 19' Escape Fiberglass trailer.
Originally Posted by drowssap
Check the frame for rust, again check the frame.
All 38k is great But everything is 16-years old and will need to be replaced. Cooling hoses, brake hoses etc.
If you have reciepts for repair you can deduct that from what will have to be replaced.
I asked the dealership that's selling it if they have receipts, and they said no. I figured 38k was low enough mileage that someone couldn't have screwed it up too badly yet...

I'm also looking at Jeep Liberty Diesels. I wonder if they would be less headache overall than a Disco II, or if this Disco II would even be a headache...

By 'everything will need to be replaced' - is there a master thread somewhere on replacing 'everything'? Is this something I'd be better off having a mechanic do, or is it pretty easy to access everything / get this stuff changed in a Disco?

Old 05-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

IMHO, 20' is pushing it with that short of wheel base!

Tandem axel or single axle.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Discovery's are the defacto tow vehicle used throughout Europe. If you don't need real off-road capability, a full size American SUV might be easier to live with in terms of parts availability and comfort. (Tahoe or a Suburban?)

That said, I tow a 6000 trailer with my Disco 2 on occasion. It doesn't perform anywhere near as well as my wife's LR4 but it does the job.

I'll respectfuy disagree with my American forum-mates on their views on towing. In this country, the standard answer on towing is always that you need to go get a 2500HD truck

Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is 'less of a headache' your only criteria? If so, head over to the Toyota lot. The Disco will be a bigger headache, but of course there are ther factors otherwise of course.

A far as the maintence there's a sticky for 'major maintence ' that is a good read.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The previous owner used my truck to tow a 4500 lb 19' airsteam, and it tore up the drivetrain. I had to replace both diffs, the rotoflex, and I've got at least one bad wheel bearing. I also have a few vibrations at different speed ranges that I worry might be a sign of tranny/xfer case issues.

Also, the 19' trailer slings the short wheel base disco all over the road.

I wouldn't use a disco as a long term tow vehicle. Our 2008 Nissan Armada tows the same airstream and you don't even know it's back there; it's tow capacity is something ridiculous like 9000 lbs. I recommend the Armada.

The following users liked this post:
cybercop (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
The previous owner used my truck to tow a 4500 lb 19' airsteam, and it tore up the drivetrain. I had to replace both diffs, the rotoflex, and I've got at least one bad wheel bearing. I also have a few vibrations at different speed ranges that I worry might be a sign of tranny/xfer case issues.

Also, the 19' trailer slings the short wheel base disco all over the road.

I wouldn't use a disco as a long term tow vehicle. Our 2008 Nissan Armada tows the same airstream and you don't even know it's back there; it's tow capacity is something ridiculous like 9000 lbs. I recommend the Armada.
Exactly!

Is not about towing capacity as much as wheel base, tongue weight, and distributed weight. That's why I asked if the trailer is single or tandem axel.

I have towed with my Discoverys. But always as a last resort and short distances.

I don't have a big diesel 2500, I have a Nissan Titan with super springs installed and electric breaks. There is not just a Night and Day difference, but a stormy night and clear as a bell day difference between towing between the two.

Wheel base, imho, makes the biggest difference.

Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

And before i get jumped, I didn't say it couldn't be done.

If it is the truck you have and don't have a option, then I say go for it.

It's just not what you should buy for this purpose!

Quick Reply: Buying a 99 Disco II as a Tow Vehicle