Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a disco what to look for. (funny test drive)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Buying a disco what to look for. (funny test drive)

I'm sure this question has been beat to death, but perhaps a link as to what to look for, or maybe just some pointers? I've test driven about 8 so far, some not so nice, some decent. I really like two of them I've seen. I'm looking for 96-99's, looking to pay around 3000-6000USD, not 100% sure what to check for though, they all seem to have a decent amout of crud buildup around the heads... is that normal? The one I test drove today, we met up in a small town, I ended up taking a wrong turn on the test drive, we ended up on a dead end road. It did have one exit however, but it was a series of steep 5 foot dirt hills with sharp peeks, I'd say around 5 of them, in the valleys of each, mud and water. It looked like something kids spent some time on to stunt their BMXs or something, but it was seriously rained out. So I look over to the owner of the car as this is just a test drive, but he's says, "dude, do not put it in reverse." Couldn't have planned the test drive better, haha. Rolled over the hills, disco dipped down in what I'd imagine was about a foot and a half of mud in the lows maybe a little more, it was a pretty funny test drive. No question in my mind had I been in my explorer I'd have been getting towed out.

Anyway any info you guys can give me would be great, always been a fan of these SUV's.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Buying a disco what to look for. (funny test drive)

What do you want to do with a Disco? hat sort of 4wheeling background do you have, how mechanical are you???
You need to decide what you want from the truck and go looking. I would suggest you do a quick once over and then take it to a good qualified Rover mechanic to be inspected. Yes head gaskets are a problem with Rovers.
What area do you live in, have you looked on e-bay, they usually have a good choice of used Rovers?
Mike

Old 06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

What do you want to do with a Disco? hat sort of 4wheeling background do you have, how mechanical are you???
You need to decide what you want from the truck and go looking. I would suggest you do a quick once over and then take it to a good qualified Rover mechanic to be inspected. Yes head gaskets are a problem with Rovers.
What area do you live in, have you looked on e-bay, they usually have a good choice of used Rovers?
Mike
I want to make it a daily. I have no 4 wheeling background and don't plan on using it for that, short of snow commutes. In my price range I'm looking for something that's mechanically sound, but I don't mind fixing something here and there. I just don't want to jump into one that nees 3k worth of service. Also I'm mechanical, short of computer issues that I don't have the tools to remedy I don't have an issue replacing whatever is broken. I'll be doing everything myself on this suv. I've looked on ebay, the best deal I could find was a 97 120k on it, abs light on, brake light on... Not sure how sever an issue that is, which is why I'm posting. He wanted 5500 for it, tossed me the keys, it wouldn't start, we jumped it. It revs to about 2500 for a short time then dropped back down to 800, then it died again. I had my multi meter with me, the alternator was throwing no voltage. So that needs to be replaced, which he's doing for me. Aside from that we got it running on a fully charged battery and it runs smooth, brakes make a little noise, feels like it just needs pads. The body is about 98% along with paint, very clean disco. Just a few of those mechanical issues have me wondering. He wanted 5500 for it, but after all the weird issue we're at 4500, does this sound about right? Seems like it has all the options sans jump seats. Side steps, front brush bar, tail light guards... What do you think?

Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats your background? what do you call "reliable?"

I come from the VW/Audi world and before that, the Honda/Nissan world. I have only owned my '99 for a couple of months, so dont have much of a track record. I can tell you it handles itself VERY well off road, but the interior and "fit and finish" are far from German standards, though perfectly acceptable.

I think if you need a daily and dont need offroad capability, you may be better served with a "car-derived" SUV. Every time I crawl under my Disco (purly for entertainment; no failures yet), I am in awe as to how well built it is, but as a daily driver, your money may serve you better elsewhere.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: HorizonDesire

whats your background? what do you call "reliable?"

I come from the VW/Audi world and before that, the Honda/Nissan world. I have only owned my '99 for a couple of months, so dont have much of a track record. I can tell you it handles itself VERY well off road, but the interior and "fit and finish" are far from German standards, though perfectly acceptable.

I think if you need a daily and dont need offroad capability, you may be better served with a "car-derived" SUV. Every time I crawl under my Disco (purly for entertainment; no failures yet), I am in awe as to how well built it is, but as a daily driver, your money may serve you better elsewhere.
You have to understand I'm coming from the ford camp, 97 explorer and a 2003 mustang. The fit and finish on these discos is like a bentley next to my other cars. I call reliable something that isn't going to have a new major fault every single week. I'm attracted to the discos because I just like them, can't explain it, but for me there is nothing else I'd rather daily right now. If I wanted something simple I'd just keep my explorer. As far as fixing it, as long as there are tech articals out there I'll jump into any repair, I've got every tool under the sun in my garage, air tools, welders, engine lifts. etc etc. My tech background comes from the mustang camp, having been doing all my own repairs and mods for the past 8 years. In comparison to working on the mustang engine the discos power plant seems alot simpler, although I can't comment on the complexity of the rover tranny and wiring yet.

The plan for the rover I get will be restoring it back to pretty much mint condition, making it look brand new, having it run with zero issues. Here are some pics of my current summer toy, hoping to suppliment it soon with a decent rover.

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0

[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Good to see you here dude, haha.. Is there MW style hazing on this forum? Will I be asked to post teh noodz of the gf mother grandmother dog etc :biglaugh:

Old 06-23-2006, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Disco I is easier to work on and parts are some what cheaper.
The Alt will run $300 the wheel sensor for the ABS light maybe about $275 if that is it.
On the Disco I the ABS is not part of the traction control system as the Disco II.
They all leak oil or something most times not a lot.
My brother used 98 his for ski trips and with the right tires was great.
The 97 is OBD II so its easy to find the problems much faster.
And the part I like best is that the Disco I's are old school.
Let us know what you do.
Mike

Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say if you like it get one! I had an 1999 Isuzu Amigo 4x4, silver with step sides and a brush guard. I loved that thing. Then I saw the disco II, kent green and had to have it. That was 3 years ago and looking back if I had to do it again........ I WOULD!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing an Amigo with a Disco, the disco out-classes and out performs the Amigo. I'm just saying if a Disco is what you want, then a disco is what you should get.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Landzu

The Disco I is easier to work on and parts are some what cheaper.
The Alt will run $300 the wheel sensor for the ABS light maybe about $275 if that is it.
On the Disco I the ABS is not part of the traction control system as the Disco II.
They all leak oil or something most times not a lot.
My brother used 98 his for ski trips and with the right tires was great.
The 97 is OBD II so its easy to find the problems much faster.
And the part I like best is that the Disco I's are old school.
Let us know what you do.
Mike
So discos post 97 are obd2? and ones are obd1, I'd really want an obd2 since it would make working on it a none issue. Also those prices seem very fair, right on par with mustang parts apparently.

ORIGINAL: NCdiscoII

I say if you like it get one! I had an 1999 Isuzu Amigo 4x4, silver with step sides and a brush guard. I loved that thing. Then I saw the disco II, kent green and had to have it. That was 3 years ago and looking back if I had to do it again........ I WOULD!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing an Amigo with a Disco, the disco out-classes and out performs the Amigo. I'm just saying if a Disco is what you want, then a disco is what you should get.
Thanks for the info, makes me feel a little better about selling a perfectly running mint explorer for my dream disco, haha..

On a side note my father took me to the biggest car auction in MA this morning, I'm 26btw... He gave me his bid number and set me loose. I bid on a white 97 98,000 miles on it, it ended at $1800, abs light was on, the rear door wasn't opening, no rear ari which is a key thing for me, and no duel sun roof, so I passed. I also bid on a d2 2002 6 seats, dvd, nav, pretty much fully loaded. I stopped bidding after 8, it went of 12k... 2002 mint 56000 miles.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:54 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1996 and up are OBDII.

Quick Reply: Buying a disco what to look for. (funny test drive)