Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I've owned a lot of 4x4's and they were pretty much a dime a dozen. LR's however are more than just a very capable 4x4, to me they're a passion. Out at the HCRR event I saw first hand that I am not alone. Every LR at the event was driven by someone that cared for it and with the exception of the beginner group (new to LR's) 99% of the guys knew their LR's inside & out.

When I had a few Jeep's it really wasn't like that at an event, it was more like oh look at me I dumped 30K on name brand parts and had some shop install it all. I bet you anything they probably didn't even know where the hood release lever was. Owning a Jeep is more of an image thing IMHO or it's like they feel safe in large groups or something like a biker gang.

I saw plenty of older RRC/D1/D90/D2/P38's at HCRR and every single owner took pride in their vehicles and when the time came to wheel everyone got in line, and wheeled with a great respect not only for the trail, but for each other. If something broke everyone went out of their way to help or give the broken rig a spare part to get em going again without wanting a thing back in return.

That is just something you don't really see in large off road groups. I've seen trails get trashed after Jeep's hit the trail that have no clue what Tread Lightly even meant.

So Land Rover's are far more than just a luxury SUV 4x4 that is very capable on/off road. They are extremely unique, well built (everything has flaws), and the people that own and wheel them are just a different breed of people I guess. I saw people I haven't seen in nearly 25 years (they were service advisor’s when my mom had an 89 RRC), and it was like I'd just talked to them the day before.

I've tried other 4x4 brands, but I truly Bleed Green and I'm proud of it. I specialize in older RRC/D1/D2's and I'm learning about the LR3/RRS. I love to modify and improve on the original design (Bosch PCV Mod for example) and I'll do my best to keep as many LR's on the road as I can.
You’re appreciated Best! Frankly, this is my favorite form of social media. A lot of it is just noise and blather. This is like a community who help each other. No way I attempt 90% of what I have done without this board.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Obviously, I am a Land Rover owner and enthusiast... and it's 7 years now. Plenty of people have far more experience than I, but I'm not new to keeping a Rover running. I've been at it more than a couple months. I'm not all down on the vehicles. But the OP wrote, "I am looking at a 03 discovery. The motor is in awesome shape."

That's obvious ignorance. Practically all '03 motors are fatally flawed and the motor is almost certainly a short time away from blowing a head gasket and needing a solution. The only long-term solution for late-year Rover V8's is a rebuild with flanged liners. That's about a $10K job by most books. All you D2 aficionados can correct me if you're willing, but I wouldn't assure any prospective buyer than an '03 Rover V8 is in "awesome shape" unless it's been rebuilt with flanged liners.

The OP goes on to write, "Runs great. It sounds and looks to be in great shape. It's a good price for it's condition." They're deceived. They're ignorant of Rovers and deceived.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by nathanb
Obviously, I am a Land Rover owner and enthusiast... and it's 7 years now. Plenty of people have far more experience than I, but I'm not new to keeping a Rover running. I've been at it more than a couple months. I'm not all down on the vehicles. But the OP wrote, "I am looking at a 03 discovery. The motor is in awesome shape."

That's obvious ignorance. Practically all '03 motors are fatally flawed and the motor is almost certainly a short time away from blowing a head gasket and needing a solution. The only long-term solution for late-year Rover V8's is a rebuild with flanged liners. That's about a $10K job by most books. All you D2 aficionados can correct me if you're willing, but I wouldn't assure any prospective buyer than an '03 Rover V8 is in "awesome shape" unless it's been rebuilt with flanged liners.

The OP goes on to write, "Runs great. It sounds and looks to be in great shape. It's a good price for it's condition." They're deceived. They're ignorant of Rovers and deceived.
Not all of the ‘03 blocks were bad, and the OP is doing the right thing coming here and doing due diligence.

I’d rather spend that much on a high miler/not working and putting in a new Turner or an LS, but there is no reason to discourage people.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Yeah the 03 stuff is way over-rating and anyone around LR's long enough would agree. The engines with issues usually failed or showed signs of failure before the first oil change. The engines were completely replaced under warranty and most of the ones I saw get replaced got P38 4.6L engines as they were actually in stock at the time. The chance of finding an affected VIN range 03 that hasn't been fixed = like finding a needle in a haystack.

I do my best to help out & anyone is free to message me if they'd like.

The issue with the 4.6L being delicate vs earlier 4.0L or the 4.6L from the 99-02 P38 has to do with several things. Emissions for starters required the engines to run hotter, the equipment/tooling for the blocks was in need of updating, LR removed the standard oil coolers, and they even changed the fan blade/fan clutch. They did a lot at one time on an engine LR used since the late 60's and finally LR honestly didn't care about 03-04 engine improvements as the LR3 was already being tested and about to be released.

With that being said if you get a well maintained 03-04 and swap the fan clutch/fan blade, slap in a 180F thermostat, add an oil cooler, and keep up with it and never overheat it you can have a great setup.

Last edited by Best4x4; 10-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Total BS, as my 170k 03 demonstrates (BTW have had three 03's that ran fine). You are speaking with authority like you are LR engineer, except almost everything you are saying is incorrect. My 03 did blow headgasket at 140k, never overheated, only needed new HG's. I have personally done 4 HG jobs, never had a problem post rebuild.

BTW, to my earlier post, spoke to a guy today who works on Subaru's exclusively (said he currently has 5), says they all need HG between 99 and 120k. And I thought they had Toyota durability.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

i don't know. i have two (2) '04's. one at 110,000 and the other at 142,000. both with original engines. the truck with 142,000 has had the head gaskets done at least once.

not sure what you mean by "fatally flawed". if this is in reference to the oil pump failure, all those engines have already failed or been replaced. if you are referring to the liners slipping, well, this seems to be an issue that is rare but gets a lot of press. if you are referring to the head gaskets, then yeah, they basically become a regular maintenance item every 100,000 miles or so.

i have actually dumped more money into my 2004 suburban than both my 2004 rovers combined. i'm probably going to sell the suburban and pick up another rover.

oh, and the 1996 Discovery. we just can't kill that bitch. she just keeps on running. 240,000 miles so far.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I did it. I traded my couch and TV for it straight up. It has a new front driveshaft. Anyone know Proshaft LLC?

I changed the air filter because the old one was nasty. I am leaking something but it's not oil. Can someone direct me to a how to on checking and changing the ATF, TCase, and Diff fluids?

​​​​One more question, my windshield washers don't work, common causes? Fluid is full and fuses check out good.

Super excited about owning the Disco now. Thanks for all of the reviews and opinions

Last edited by BillJ; 10-14-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:30 PM
4wd Low

I tried to upload pics but can't get it to work right. Will try again later

Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 PM
4wd Low

I traded a couch and a TV for it. It ended up being an 01. It has a new front driveshaft. Proshaft LLC, anyone know about that brand?

I changed the air filter, the old one was nasty. I can't get the wiper fluid to work so I will have to figure that out. I seem to be leaking something that's not oil that I'll have to inspect further. I believe it's TCase oil (uh oh) judging by where it's coming from

Can someone please point me to a how to about checking and changing the ATF, TCase, and Diff fluids? Also, what are your opinions on a tranny flush at 140k? I am beginning my maintenance on the truck and am nervous a flush may be too hard on the tranny.

Thank you for all of the reviews. Excited to be a part of the club.

Last edited by BillJ; 10-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BillJ
I traded a couch and a TV for it. It ended up being an 01. It has a new front driveshaft. Proshaft LLC, anyone know about that brand?

I changed the air filter, the old one was nasty. I can't get the wiper fluid to work so I will have to figure that out. I seem to be leaking something that's not oil that I'll have to inspect further. I believe it's TCase oil (uh oh) judging by where it's coming from

Can someone please point me to a how to about checking and changing the ATF, TCase, and Diff fluids? Also, what are your opinions on a tranny flush at 140k? I am beginning my maintenance on the truck and am nervous a flush may be too hard on the tranny.

Thank you for all of the reviews. Excited to be a part of the club.
I have a proshaft. I had to exchange my first one due to vibration at 35,ph if memory serves, but he replaced it and the other has been fine. You'll need a needle tip for your grease gun.

Download the RAVE manual and it will give you all the info you need, or take a look at the sticky on the front page with what to do to service a high miler.

I leak transfer case fluid, checking and refilling is a pain in the neck, but I don't have a garage to pull it and reseal it completely> I will eventually.

Quick Reply: Buying a Discovery