Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a LandRover Discovery and need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a LandRover Discovery and need help!!!

Hello Everyone,

Me and my family are looking to buy a discovery (2004 as its teh last model?) and need some advice.
1.I don't what the difference is between the discovery 1 and II? is it major?
2. As gas prices are really high these days I wanted to ask to see how the efficiency is on it? Also, most of them are V8? does this mean that is uses more gas than the V6....if so why do people mostly buy the V8?
3. Since it is the last model of the discovery, do you guys think it'll be hard to sell in a couple of years?
4. How is the maintenance and price of parts on it?
5. Who manufacturers it?? still a British company?
Finally, any general advice.... like what to look for?? and for the people that have it, are you satisfied??

I appreciate your help and thank you beforehand........cheers

Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying a LandRover Discovery and need help!!!

ORIGINAL: TomTom

Hello Everyone,

Me and my family are looking to buy a discovery (2004 as its teh last model?) and need some advice.
1.I don't what the difference is between the discovery 1 and II? is it major?
2. As gas prices are really high these days I wanted to ask to see how the efficiency is on it? Also, most of them are V8? does this mean that is uses more gas than the V6....if so why do people mostly buy the V8?
3. Since it is the last model of the discovery, do you guys think it'll be hard to sell in a couple of years?
4. How is the maintenance and price of parts on it?
5. Who manufacturers it?? still a British company?
Finally, any general advice.... like what to look for?? and for the people that have it, are you satisfied??

I appreciate your help and thank you beforehand........cheers

Yea, ummmm... Something tells me a Disco isn't for you. No offense.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

none taken....but why so??

Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Realistically, you are asking questions that require volumes to answer, but much of the information you seek can be answered by simply using a search engine such as Google. You will also discover much information by scanning the archives of this site, especially regarding maintenance issues and parts sources.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like you can't afford one first of all, you have no knowledge about Rovers, who makes them or what they can do for you.
By the way, the last D1 was made in 99.
Sounds like you have never owned a 4 wheeler before, what are you planning on doing with it?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, it seems like you got scared off here, but just in case you look back,

1. D1's were made until mid 99. They don't have the fancy traction control, hill descent etc... some like them for that. Less to go wrong, but unless you go off road a lot, get a D2. They are slightly longer, have different hubs, and all of the bells and whistles. There are many differences, search around here and see what people have said. This question comes up a lot on here....

2. Mileage sucks. peroid. 13-15 MPG

3. Gas prices are up, mileage sucks. Rovers have terrible resale anyway. Don't buy it to make money. Especially an 04. It will eat your lunch.

4. If you don't do the proper maintenance, you will pay, sometimes even if you do, you will pay. Get a good extended warranty unless you can fix it yourself. Head gaskets and diffs are weak.

5. If you didn't know it was british, you need to re-search a little more. I do give you points for asking before buying. You have to know you want a Rover, or have an assload of money and just want the look. Most people on here fix their own and find the best deals on parts. You don't have to be loaded to own one, but you do need to know what a torque wrench is and how to use one.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gas mileage on any SUV is not going to be good, its just a fact, if gas milage is important to you go buy a hybrid rice mobile. And based on your resale question, like okdiscoguy said, there is terrible resale on these things. But in my opinion once you own one you will love it so much you will want to keep it for a while. 04 is a great year, do a TON of research and find the best deal. If you are into "save the trees" and driving hybrids, the Disco isnt for you, but if you want to have a fun car thats looks great and can go just about anywhere, buy yourself a Discovery.