Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on buying a landrover..sceptical

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on buying a landrover..sceptical

Hey all,
My bro just bought a land rover discovery that was reposed for $800. No problems, has leather interior, brush guard, i believe it's a...97-00 somewhere in there. Now i am highly interested in them. I currently have a 96' Mitsubishi Eclipse that is fun...but i want something to get dirty if ya know what i mean. I have driven the rover. I didn't go offroad with it but here are a few of my concerns maybe you can help me with.
1. Awd/all time 4x4...scares me, my bro gets about 16mpg which is fine, but i would buy it as a daily driver. are there non awd Disco's?
2. It has power, dont' get me wrong, but the gitty up and go is a little slow. Is this b/c it's awd?
3. I plan (if i buy one) to put a suspension lift and some meats on it, but what performance wise can i do to it to get some more power, besdies the typical air intake filter and exhaust. and how expensive are parts
4. What is your personal experiance with a disco. How do you feel driving it. Glad you bought it? how does it do as a daily driver, and offroader.
5. would you rather have a truck such as a chevy 1500 or ford 150?

Thank you so much! I appeciate all input, i just like to have confidence as buying a vehicle.

-Noah

Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

There is not a single Land Rover that is not full time four wheel drive.
16mpg as a daily driver is what you can expect, if you want mpg then get a Civic.
The truck weighs almost 6,000 lbs with a 188hp engine, its going to be slow.
No you cannot get more power out of it, you cant so dont even try.
A cold air intake, hi performance exhaust etc will NOT get you any more power or mpg.
Would I rather have a Chevy or Ford? No way in hell.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

MPG is going to be around 16 MPG no matter what. If you can find a quality 4X4 vehicle that gets significanty better, I would be shocked.

Disco's dont go fast. They never will.
And again, no quality 4X4 vehicle can, or should.

Parts are more expensive, but that what you should expect witha vehicle made in Jolly Olde England.

I love my disco, I love how it feels while driving, sitting up high is the best why to be on the highway IMO. As a daily driver it fits my need, and off road I wouldnt drive anything else.

Would I rather have a truck such as a chevy or Ford.... Nope. I like to get places off road.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silly question ,,,This is a Land Rover Forum ... I got an old Siverado to haul stuff .... Two different animals....as is a 97 and a 00 Disco ... Once you go Rover you dont even look at anything else..

Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 97 Disco and love it. Disco's are not made to be fast, they are made to go places other vehicles can't. The only upgrades you need to make to the engine is Magnecore wires and spark plugs. I use Bosch Platinum 2, everyone has their favorite. Keep the factory air filter!!! There are plenty of sources for parts other than the dealer that will keep prices in line. Do your maintenance and you should be fine if you find a good Disco to purchase. Chevy or Ford, no thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of this 16mog talk make me jealous! LOL I see 13-14 regularly, with a good mix of city and highway driving.

The Discovery is not an All-Wheel-Drive vehicle, it is a full-time 4x4.

You can get Disco's on the cheap, and '96 Eclipses aren't bringing much either... Why not keep the Eclipse as the daily-driver and buy a D1 for recreational use and weekend fun? You should be able to find a decent 95-98 D1 for around $2500, and those are less sophisticated to diagnose and repair. Plus, there are plenty of trucks being parted out and a good selection of non-OEM parts suppliers.

As for whether or not we'd rather drive a Ford or Chevy; no, you won't find people talking about how much they wish they had a Ford or Chevy on a Land Rover enthusiast forum!

Good luck in whatever you decide. But be forewarned that you'll never make a Disco fast. If you want a fast Land Rover, buy a supercharged Range Rover Sport.

Cheers!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have owned a older K5 blazer with a lift and 33"s 350 V8,,,

a jeep rubicon bone stock,,,

and now my 04 disco.

the jeep was a much better trail and off road rig then the blazer due to its being smaller and better in the tight trails i enjoy. its limitations were it was small, cramped and could not tow or carry much cargo.

also i am a single guy who dates a lot and i honestly have to have something that i can run through a wash and take out for a night out and not be concerned with looks.

my rover is also stock save for the sat. radio. it is on 18" wheels and Falken tires. that being said it is the best off road rig i have owned. even on the 55 section tires it is awesome off road and in the snow/ice it is amazing.

Attached Thumbnails Questions on buying a landrover..sceptical-dscn3763.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

full time 4 wheel drive is a lot different then having your part time 4 wheel drive vehicle stuck in four high... these vehicles were designed to operate this way with power going to both axles all the time...

they are not fast by any stretch of the word...

except for the bowler tomcats and wildcats, but those are pricey and no good for driving to work...

i had a nissan 350z before i got my rover and love my rover wayyyy more than i liked the Z... and it costs nearly a thousand dollars a month less for me to drive...

i wheel with an off road association made up of 99% jeeps, from nearly stock to highly modified and any of them will tell you that my rover can hang with just about any of them on most of the trails we go on...

just get one... then you'll understand

Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We need to remember that rover is not for everyone.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, but anyone who gets one will be hooked. Even that Annie girl who has had a ton of problems is still getting hers back on the road....

Quick Reply: Questions on buying a landrover..sceptical