Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing object under the bonnet...er...hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buzzing object under the bonnet...er...hood

Under the advice of another forum poster, I checked my oil in the Disco to see if it's getting gasoline in it, since I may have an injector stuck open. Well, the oil looks ok, smells a little old, feels good between the fingers, but was a quart low. I went to the parts place across the street and bought a quart. On the way back, there was a song I liked on the radio so when I got home, I turned the ignition on the Disco to run so I could listen to it while I dumped the oil in. I dumped the quart, and realized there was this buzzing noise coming from somewhere. I thought it was the blower fan at first, but it wasn't on. Then I realized it was this object:

Name:  buzzingobject-1.jpg
Views: 5647
Size:  66.3 KB

Honestly, it didn't sound very healthy. It was buzzing, and sort of sounded like an electric motor that needs a drop of oil on the bushings. When I touched it, it was vibrating. It says "Bosch" on it, and the hoses coming off of it looked ok. What is it? And should it be making noise?

Thanks all,
Aaron

Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
Under the advice of another forum poster, I checked my oil in the Disco to see if it's getting gasoline in it, since I may have an injector stuck open. Well, the oil looks ok, smells a little old, feels good between the fingers, but was a quart low. I went to the parts place across the street and bought a quart. On the way back, there was a song I liked on the radio so when I got home, I turned the ignition on the Disco to run so I could listen to it while I dumped the oil in. I dumped the quart, and realized there was this buzzing noise coming from somewhere. I thought it was the blower fan at first, but it wasn't on. Then I realized it was this object:

Honestly, it didn't sound very healthy. It was buzzing, and sort of sounded like an electric motor that needs a drop of oil on the bushings. When I touched it, it was vibrating. It says "Bosch" on it, and the hoses coming off of it looked ok. What is it? And should it be making noise?

Thanks all,
Aaron
That's your Idle Air Control, or stepper motor. When you turn on your key to start your engine, it unscrews the cone-shaped valve opening the two black hoses . this allows air to bypass your throttle body so your engine starts @ higher rpm then settles down.
The IAC is controlled by your engine computor, I can clean my D1 IAC, but I'm not sure about the D2's.
It should be silent within seconds of turning the key off. Not having a D2, I don't know if you should ever hear it.

But that's what it is. luck-greg

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by greg409
That's your Idle Air Control, or stepper motor. When you turn on your key to start your engine, it unscrews the cone-shaped valve opening the two black hoses . this allows air to bypass your throttle body so your engine starts @ higher rpm then settles down.
The IAC is controlled by your engine computor, I can clean my D1 IAC, but I'm not sure about the D2's.
It should be silent within seconds of turning the key off. Not having a D2, I don't know if you should ever hear it.

But that's what it is. luck-greg
Awesome, thank you Greg!

~Aaron

Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I mis-spoke. I turned the key to "run" but I didn't start the engine. It was still buzzing and vibrating. I started it after I finished putting the oil in, and it still felt like it was buzzing, even with the engine running. Any DII guys think I ought to take it off and look at it? Is it possible to clean it with some brake clean or carb cleaner?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Disco Mike? Anyone? Can this be cleaned? If so, how?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have cleaned mine before with carb and choke cleaner. Just remove both hoses and spray it down good. It might be a little flooded when you go back to start it.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by malmberg
I have cleaned mine before with carb and choke cleaner. Just remove both hoses and spray it down good. It might be a little flooded when you go back to start it.
Ok. I would do it now, but money mysteriously disappeared from my wallet after I went to sleep. Damn women!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you can clean it, just becareful not to "adjust" anything.
Take it out, clean it, reintall.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes you can clean it, just becareful not to "adjust" anything.
Take it out, clean it, reinstall.
I scraped together some change, went across the street (God Bless O'Reilly auto-parts) and got a can of carb/choke cleaner. I got home, and had a hell of a time trying to get those clamps off. I finally got them to come free, took it out, and had a look. There was some kind of crap all dried and brown in there. I sprayed it until the cleaner ran clear, and while I was at it and already freezing my *** off, I used the rest of the can on the throttle body. I put it all back together, started it up and let it run for a while. Burned it all out of there, and came inside. Where the hell did this 70 degree weather go, damn it!! In the process of putting it back together, I dropped one of the bolts that holds the IAC to the intake, and ruined both the clamps, but that's just simple crap. I'll get those replaced in no time.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah it was really cold here today too. 50mph+ winds and a high of 25*F.
I cant wait until spring.

Quick Reply: Buzzing object under the bonnet...er...hood