Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c charging and pag oil weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c charging and pag oil weight

So I am planning on replacing my ac compressor this weekend. I have done the job before on other vehicles so it shouldn't be too bad. The manual says to use PAG oil but I don't know whatweight to use. Also, what pressure should I be charging it to. Many thanks.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

unfortunately its a job for the pros. The system must be evacuated, part replaced, Pulled down to 30" of vacuum for 15 mins to boil out/remove moisture, then the correct weight of refrigerant injected. I'm not trying to belittle your technical abilities but if it were as easy as pulling the trigger on the can you buy at pepboys, I wouldn't have $4000 In AC equipment.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
unfortunately its a job for the pros. The system must be evacuated, part replaced, Pulled down to 30" of vacuum for 15 mins to boil out/remove moisture, then the correct weight of refrigerant injected. I'm not trying to belittle your technical abilities but if it were as easy as pulling the trigger on the can you buy at pepboys, I wouldn't have $4000 In AC equipment.
Yep. If you don't care about the environment (who does that has a gas sucking rover?!?) take the low pressure hose off the a/c compressor first. Freon will come out and make a hissing sound. Then take the high pressure hose off. Once you do that, replace the compressor. This way you only need someone to pull a vacuum on it and you can then pull the trigger on the can of 134-a and away you go!

**NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING FOR YOU DO GO LET THE FREON OUT, IF CAUGHT YOU CAN FACE A 10YR JAIL SENTENCE AND A $100,000 FINE. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, that being said, I don't know anyone who has ever been arrested for releasing freon, nor reselling air bags! **

Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As far as I know the PAG oil for a/c systems only comes in one viscosity.
You can have the refrigerant sucked out, then you do home and replace the compressor, then go back and have them finish the job.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling

I have the equipment to vac the system down and the gauges and the 30# tank of 134. There are three different viscosities of PAG oil. Does anyone know which one to use?

Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
Yep. If you don't care about the environment (who does that has a gas sucking rover?!?) take the low pressure hose off the a/c compressor first. Freon will come out and make a hissing sound. Then take the high pressure hose off. Once you do that, replace the compressor. This way you only need someone to pull a vacuum on it and you can then pull the trigger on the can of 134-a and away you go!

**NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING FOR YOU DO GO LET THE FREON OUT, IF CAUGHT YOU CAN FACE A 10YR JAIL SENTENCE AND A $100,000 FINE. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, that being said, I don't know anyone who has ever been arrested for releasing freon, nor reselling air bags! **
Yea sure. Realease it into the atmosphere and create a form of cyanide gas. Because that is the intelligent thing to do.

To the OP, replace whatever you took out + or - .25 of an ounce. And rave should have the specs for which oil you should use.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Yea sure. Realease it into the atmosphere and create a form of cyanide gas. Because that is the intelligent thing to do.

To the OP, replace whatever you took out + or - .25 of an ounce. And rave should have the specs for which oil you should use.
Do you think people in other countries example China care about the atmosphere? When you look at there pollution compared to ours, I don't think 40 oz of 134-A is going to do that much damage.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07

The toxicity you refer to only occurs when the released R134 comes in contact with a source of ignition. Unless you're venting to atmosphere with a torch in hand, and aren't intentionally huffing the freon, you will be fine.

Also, the EPA fine is no joke, and they will come down on you if they find out.

The correct oil is ND-oil 8, which is equivalent to PAG 46.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yup,

From the RAVE:

Air conditioning
Use only refrigerant R134a.
Refrigerant oil
Use only Nippon Denso ND-oil 8.
Refrigerant oil absorbs water and must not be stored
for long periods. Do not pour unused oil back into the
container.
NOTE: The total quantity of refrigerant oil in the
system is 180 ml.
CAUTION: Do not use any other type of
refrigerant oil.

and refrigerant quantity -

Front A/C 700 +/- 25 g
Front/rear A/C 900 +/- 25 g

Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Rock Crawling

Thank you those who answered my question. I really appreciate the help. FWIW I won't be releasing the freon into the atmosphere or huffing any freon.

Quick Reply: a/c charging and pag oil weight