Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Clutch Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Ok guys thanks but here are some technical issues I'm having. Please let me enumerate:
1) Connected the compressor directly to battery and it works. But, not with of from the original connector.
2) Went back to Mavis and explained to them that the compressor cluch is working if directly powered to battery. As per receipt:
A/C compressor (Clutch not going on) and billed me accordingly
3) Technician said that the COMPRESSOR need to be replaced and the total that i need to pay is $800.00++ which included the receipt.
4) He told me that the system is fully charged. Will it charge when the clutch did not work?
5) I asked why is that a faulty clutch but when its powered directly, it works. Then he mentioned that the compressor need replacement. Is that reasonable?
6) He mentioned, Compressor / clutch cant be powered directly because it sends signal to it to turn it on and off when needed. I asked why there are only 2 wires that goes to the compressor, isnt it to power the unit? 6) was his answer
7) another question is, if the system is charged. since there is still no significant cooling even when it powered directly to the battery.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

They charged you for charging system and wrote on ticket the clutch is inop? How could they charge system if clutch didn't work? Sounds strange to me. Why did you take it there in first place?

Old 06-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

The compressor is run by the A/C ECU sending a signal to the clutch to engage. You can charge a system without the Compressor running, I believe, but if the clutch is engaged, and the compressor is turning, and the system is charged you should be blowing cold air.

It is possible that the clutch is engaging and the compressor is not compressing/circulating the freon.

Have you done a test to make sure the clutch is working? Just start the car with the air off, and look at the compressor. Then turn it on and see if it engages, and spins.

If it does not engage, and is good, then there is an issue with the signal to it/ECU somewhere. If it does engage and you are not blowing cold air, then you will want to do a check of all the systems.

Have you made sure that the A/C Fan is working? If your fan is not working the system will have a hard time cooling the condenser. Have you put a stethoscope to the compressor to hear if it is pumping?

Also, if you google it, or check the rave manual you can do a check on the A/C Control Unit that will show codes if it detects anything wrong.

It could be as easy as a fuse.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by number9
They charged you for charging system and wrote on ticket the clutch is inop? How could they charge system if clutch didn't work? Sounds strange to me. Why did you take it there in first place?
Took it there coz I thought that the freon was gone. I did the HG last november when it was cold and thought that I have yanked the ac hose and caused a leak. I tried to replace the hose but instead the freon just exploded out when I released the bolt. Anyway, it wasnt leaking so I replaced the hose back and I decided to get it filled and same time vacuum the system. So i can diagnose why the a/c didnt work.

So I went back earlier in addition to what the guy explained to me that I should not be able to turn the clutch by hand as he showed me physically. But few minutes ago my wife got home and I checked the clutch in the other disco with same engine. I found out that I can spin the clutch by hand as well and this one the A/C is working.

So I am just confirming this guy is bull****ing me. But anyways, the clutch is not working and it could be electrical to this point.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 PM
TReK

I checked the connector terminals to the compressor when engine is running and a/c on max, there is no power.
Not sure with the next steps from here, all fuses are all good. Anyone knows what to check next?
Thanks

Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I checked the connector terminals to the compressor when engine is running and a/c on max, there is no power.
Not sure with the next steps from here, all fuses are all good. Anyone knows what to check next?
Thanks
Do the A/C self check and see if it comes up with codes. You hold two buttons down, can't remember which, and it will flash a code if something is wrong. Sucks, but trace the wire back and see if it has been damaged.

I think you can get a rave wiring diagram, too.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Do the A/C self check and see if it comes up with codes. You hold two buttons down, can't remember which, and it will flash a code if something is wrong. Sucks, but trace the wire back and see if it has been damaged.

I think you can get a rave wiring diagram, too.
I will check the A/C self check tomorrow. I read that it has to be daylight so to diagnose with the ambient light sensor.
I replaced the A/C ECU with a spare moments ago and still no power to the connector.
All fuse checked OK, relay replaced 3x with spares and no go.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:06 AM

I will check the A/C self check tomorrow. I read that it has to be daylight so to diagnose with the ambient light sensor.
I replaced the A/C ECU with a spare moments ago and still no power to the connector.
All fuse checked OK, relay replaced 3x with spares and no go.
it could be a sensor. Maybe it is just not judging temperature properly. Hopefully, the self check comes up with something for you.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by CollieRover
it could be a sensor. Maybe it is just not judging temperature properly. Hopefully, the self check comes up with something for you.
still lost here. Self check went fine and no issues with sesord. However still no power going out the connector when a/c is on to max. Any diaram i can find. Cant read them though but can try. Thanks
Diagnostic check went fine.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM

still lost here. Self check went fine and no issues with sesord. However still no power going out the connector when a/c is on to max. Any diaram i can find. Cant read them though but can try. Thanks
Diagnostic check went fine.
Can you swap in your wife's a/c control unit and see if it works then? So I only have a little electrical knowledge, but it could be the ground is bad, or that you have a short to ground on the positive wire. I don't think you have any recourse than to trace the wires. depending on how it is routed through the engine it could easily get chafed or melted to another wire.

you've gotten the clutch to work with the battery so it would not seem to be mechanical.

Last edited by CollieRover; 06-27-2017 at 02:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (06-27-2017)

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Clutch Fix