Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Drier

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Drier

G'day Chaps,

Can anyone tell me how do you know if your Drier is on it's way out?

My A/C, just recently is sometimes okay but occasionally blows not as cold as it should. Just wondered if it was the drier affecting it.

Pressure is good, as is the condenser fan and compresser.

Cheers, Jerry

Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What is your low pressure and at what ambient temp?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Overlanding

Mike, Not sure what my low pressure is. Ambient temp is between 27 and 30C. Not sure wha that is in Farh.

Cheers

Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Dryers typically do noit need replacing only unless the system is opened to the atmosphere. Its main purpose is to trap non-condensables that enter the system. You likely have a leak and are losing refrigerant. As Mike asked, what are your pressure readings? You may be low in refrigerant and need a charge.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And where I am, in summer humid weather, a dryer exposed to air will soak up that humidity; if replacing one you must be prepared to move with deliberate haste.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Overlanding

Okay, but sometimes it works fine, very cold. This would not indicate low gas? I'll get the pressure readings but now wondering if i is the compressor clutch?

Thanks

Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it very dough full that you drier have anything to do with your problem, unless your system was left sitting open for a while. More likely to be low on charge.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Stone
Okay, but sometimes it works fine, very cold. This would not indicate low gas? I'll get the pressure readings but now wondering if i is the compressor clutch?

Thanks
When working "fine" what are the ambient (outside temps)? It may be able to supply cooler air when the outside air temp is below 80F (~27C). But when the outside air heats up above 27C the system cannot keep up.

You'll need to check your pressure readings when outside air temps are above 27C. Then check your superheated and sub cooling numbers. I suggest seeking out a respectable qualified AC service technician to perform a thorough check.

Last edited by coors; 06-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default perhaps not the dryer

Originally Posted by Road Stone

Thanks
make sure that your CFM is facilitated by both operational fans in front fo condenser coil. remove grill and turn on the AC. Intermittent cold temp tells me that when y7ou are driving above 40 mpg cooling is efficient, stop and go is not so good.....if both fans operational, check if your gate valve to the heater core is functional. this can be checked by using a vacuum pump attached to the vacuum line supplying the suction to the gate valve located top drivers site in line the inlet hose of the heater core. or use zip tie to hold CLOSED the valve that allows coolant / antifreeze to flow through the heater core ... you may be stuck open negating the evap coil low temp to register at the .... register or vent outlet louver.