Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam lock or wedge mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:17 AM
|
Team Owner
Default cam lock or wedge mount?

My auto dimming mirror is kaput, it was that way when I bought the truck.
I am looking at buying a new one, aftermarket with a compass and temp display and having that installed along with new windshield.
But I need to know if it is a cam lock mount or a wedge mount that holds the mirror to the glass.
If it is a cam lock then I need to order a cam lock mirror or a cam lock adapter.
If I order the wrong one then I cant use the mirror.
I can buy a mirror at the place that I will have replace my windshield but I can get the mirror I actually want online and for alot cheaper than what they want for my second choice.

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench

i had my windshield replaced when i bought the truck, i wasn't here when he put it in but i'm pretty sure it is just glued on, im assuming a new mirror would come with a mount, if your replacing the glass it won't matter what the old one is. is this a trick question, are you reeling me in as i type? anyway he came out and did the job, which took him almost all day cause it wasn't the first time it had been replaced, and someone had made sure it would never come out. but it was all for $250. i though that was pretty good cause i figure thats why i got the truck as cheap as i did, everyone saw a cracked rover windshield and thought "cha-ching".

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well if its "any" consilation, the D2 mirror simply pulls straight up to be removed, and when you have a new windscreen fitted "over here", the new glass comes with the mirror mount already bonded to it.

Old 10-19-2009 | 05:42 PM
|
Team Owner

Ok, maybe I need to clarify, this is not the first windshield I have ever had replaced.
And I have glued the mirror back onto a windshield before.
This is not a trick question.
The mirror has 2 parts, the part that is glued to the windshield is like a "triangle" (for lack of a better term) with the point pointing up.
The mirror then slides down over the "triangle", tighten a set screw and gravity and the screw hold it in place.
BUT, there are 2 different types of "triangles", a wedge type and a cam lock type.
The new windshield comes with the "triangle" already glued to the glass, your mirror needs to have the correct type of mating piece to work.
If I were to buy a used DI mirror then no problem, but I wont be, thats why I need to know.
My new windshield will be "free" as I have full coverage on my truck with full glass coverage and no deductible on glass.
Any glass gets cracked or broken I call my agent Nichole and she tells me to take it to any approved glass shop and they replace it for "free". (it's not actually free, I paid for it in the higher premium per year, $6 per year for full glass)
Now because I am not a liar or cheat no I will not break the mirror just to get it replaced, and if I did the fluid that is inside your auto dimming mirror is highly corrosive and it WILL eat your dashboard.

Old 10-19-2009 | 08:06 PM
|
Team Owner
Old 10-19-2009 | 08:07 PM
Pro Wrench

im just counting on acting like i don't understand what you're asking till you give up and look for yourself.

Old 10-19-2009 | 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Can't you just get a used one? Why not check through AutoSports unlimited--my guess is that it will be cheaper than what you are looking at. (That auto dimming is so sweet--never had that before, I do covet the temp. as touching the dash is so much more work than I am used to for finding the air temp)

Old 10-19-2009 | 08:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Old 10-19-2009 | 08:48 PM
|
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
Can't you just get a used one? Why not check through AutoSports unlimited--my guess is that it will be cheaper than what you are looking at. (That auto dimming is so sweet--never had that before, I do covet the temp. as touching the dash is so much more work than I am used to for finding the air temp)
I can get a DI mirror from AutoSports for like $25, but I want a compass and temp too.
The DI does not tell you the temp like on a DII, the DI is simple, the HVAC is rotary ***** (hehehe, ****), no auto climate control, no auto fan speed, turn it on, turn it off, adjust your temp, adjust your fan speed all by hand.

I was just looking on e-bay and they had some good pricing.
As I will be having a glass shop install it I dont think it is that important for me to know what kind of mount I have.
All the research I have been doing says that a new mount can be put on the glass to suit the new mirror, they say the old one is easy to remove and then just glue the new one on.

Old 10-19-2009 | 10:33 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
The DI does not tell you the temp like on a DII, the DI is simple, the HVAC is rotary ***** (hehehe, ****), no auto climate control, no auto fan speed, turn it on, turn it off, adjust your temp, adjust your fan speed all by hand.
Spike...hehehe...****...but, the DII does NOT tell you the temp...only the compass...I would buy a GPS and a cheap mirror if you really want the compass.

Quick Reply: cam lock or wedge mount?