Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camel Trophy Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camel Trophy Land Rover Discovery

The amazing Camel Trophy is what got me interested in the Discovery in the first place. Those vehicles have always intregued me. They seem fairly stock except for a roll cage, snorkel, steel rims with some good tires and a winch bumper with a good winch on it. Yet these vehicles seem invincible! I understand they get beat up but they do some amazing things with these vehicles and from what I understand the Series was the only one used and Land Rover pulled out (1998) before the Series II was introduced. What else did they do to these vehicles? How reliable were they really on these expeditions? Any one know much about these Camel Trophy vehicles?

I remember being a teenager in Prague in 1995 when then Czech Republic one the trophy for the year and it was for sale at an auction. I tried and tried to get my dad to buy it for me but no luck.

Fred

Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Camel Trophy Land Rover Discovery

So they are still doing their trips, now using G$ versions of either Discos, LR3 and the new LR2.
I think the last of the great vehicles was the Special edition Trek G4, there were only a few made for each country and they are very hard to find.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current G4 or Trek competitions are nothing like the Camel Trophy of past. They're more about extreme sports than forging a path through the jungle.

The G4 in particular, they really only use the trucks for getting around the sporting events.

The Trek competition is different. It's a dealer competition, and does mostly involve extreme off-road driving. But, it's done at one location instead of driving across the continent.

There is or was a 2003 Discovery Trek for sale in VA if you're interested. I was --> <-- this close to buying it myself.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with you, those vehicles are amazing. You probally already know this but you can watch a bunch of vids of camel trophy on youtube. I have seen a camel trophy looking DII, it wasnt called a CT disco but it had the similar paint style and extras on it, i want to say it was called Kalihari edition. Anyways here is a UK site that takes a cool look at some CT trucks, the guy sells some of them but most are his and he is in the UK so it would be hard to buy from over here in the US.

http://www.camel-trophy-vehicles.com/

Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They used Range Rover Classics and Defenders until 1995 when they switched to the Disco.
Those trks were diesel's and were all stock except for roll cage, snorkel, winch, brush bar and skid plates. They also had heavy duty springs to handle all of the extra weight and Michiln military tires, which I found for sale to fit a Disco but they are like a zillion dollars for a set of four.
I have a Camel Throphy DVD, three years worth, '87, '88 & '89. I could just watch it all day over and over again. Three hours of forging your own trail and building your own bridge when there isint one.
They built a raft out of logs and pontoons, out a outboard motor on the back and took the trks across a river one at a time.
I fell in love with these trks when I was a kid watching National Geographic on tv Sunday nights. The trks had the spare tire on the hood and I that that they looked so cool.
I hook my computer to my tv and watch youtube Camel Throphy videos, my wife hates it.