Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping Bed Build and retaining rear seat usage

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Camping Bed Build and retaining rear seat usage

Hello all,

I'm looking for some ideas per the title of this thread. Presently I have a bed seat up in my D2 for two adults with ample room. Unfortunately, I had to remove and lose usage if the back seats. Since this truck is my daily driver, I would love to be able to remodel this build for use with the rear seats.

As the pictures below show, I have a single folding area that when down, and the front seats moved forward of the rear most edge of the console, gives me almost 65" overall. When folded up, I get a wall or “headache rack” for load retention of about 13”overall height. When flipped on its back, it gives us a padded tray to lay small items in.

This design works well enough, but I don't really like how the unfinished sides of the platform extend into the door opening. Perhaps a double folding design would take care of both issues. #1 Allowing reinstallation of the rear seats, and #2 obviously moving the hinged joint back towards the rear.

The next obstacle will be the height of the platform to compensate for the folded rear seats. Right now we sleep with our heads to the front to allow for fresh air movement across our upper body using the rear door windows and USB fans. This arrangement makes reaching for exterior lighting, ignition, a/c or heat, very easy. However, I'm fearful that the height I'll need to clear the folded rear seats, would make us feel like we were sleeping in a coffin.

Perhaps, I’m asking for too much from this arrangement. But I can’t help but think someone has done or seen what I’m trying to do.

Anyway, pics of the current setup, minus the drawer setup I recently installed. Feel free to critique and offer suggestions. Disclaimer! I’m a mechanic, not a carpenter.

travel position LS

Travel Position RS

Travel Position RS2

Travel position2 LS

Travel Position rear view

Bed cushions in travel position

Bed cushions

Last edited by Davis31052; 11-28-2020 at 09:59 AM. Reason: N/r
The following 2 users liked this post by Davis31052:
Richard Gallant (11-27-2020), whowa004 (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

With rear's in you will really high up by sleeping with your head the the rear, you can compensate. You will still need a folding joint at the end so you can collapse the front for the seats.

I would suggest doing a redesign you you can easily remove and store the platform as well. With the extra height you lose a lot of cargo space functionality.

You will have a bit more of a condensation issue,but if you have one fan pulling air in and one driving air out it should be manageable. You will have to tweak the window opening a bit to find the best balance

Old 11-27-2020, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

If you have a pair of the jump seats from a SE7, there might be a way to graft those into the middle row. Those would likely fold flat enough that you wouldn't have to raise the platform. Just an idea

Old 11-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
If you have a pair of the jump seats from a SE7, there might be a way to graft those into the middle row. Those would likely fold flat enough that you wouldn't have to raise the platform. Just an idea
And a good one! I may explore the possibility of that. Thx, Rover!

Old 11-27-2020, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

No problem, I have a pair of them for the 110 and that is my plan for them.