Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Camshaft Position Sensor

I have a 1996 Land Rover Discovery. I believe that it is my camshaft position sensor that is not working. I have installed a new Crankshaft, and checked everything else that could be the problem. (any other suggestions on what could be the problem?)
How do you check the Camshaft Position Sensor reading for my 1996 Land Rover Discovery?

How do you preform a bench test on the Camshaft Position Sensor?

PS. As of now, there is no ignition spark, no ground signal or injector pulse, but there is power.

Also, if you know a place to buy a (used or new) Camshaft position sensor for a 1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4.0, please let me know. The part number on my old Camshaft sensor is #ERR 6170.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy, that's expensive trying parts, download the rave cd below in my signature,

Go to "discovery-workshop manual-fuel sys sfi- read thru all the sensors and what they control including symptoms,

That a whole bunch easier.

Is your engine lite on? have you checked fault codes? what are they?

let us know how it goes, please

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 05-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Overlanding

Thankyou for replying.
The car does not start, only cranks, so I cannot check if the check engine light is on.
I do not have a scanner to check for the fault codes.

What can i do?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

cam sensor does not controll spark in the least, they do go bad and may be contributing to your issue, but will not resolve it alone. does the check engine light turn off during cranking? the engine ecu is located on the pass side rear of the engine bay, check the three connectors on it for corrosion, water gets in those a decent amount, also check the grounds right next to it, even if they look ok, take them off and clean the studs and contact areas. what is your security light doing?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tested to see if you are getting spark or fuel? The crank shaft position sensor, with my experience on GEMS engines, at least, does not cause the vehicle to not start. Smell your exhaust for fuel and look at a spark plug (with your EFI fuse disconnected) and see if its doing anything. Doing it in the dark really helps btw.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Cam sensors rarely ever fail and when they do, the engine will still start. What fault codes do you have?
My money is on your new crank sensor, either bad or damaged while being installed cause it is the only thing that can shut of the fuel and spark at the same time.
By the way, did you try starting it with starter fluid/carb spray?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Mudding

Check all the fuses. Had one that was blown with these same systems.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem after I changed my Crankshaft Position Sensor and It was a relay. I can't remember what the number was but it was one of the relays that is marked with an engine and lightning bolt. (Keep in mind mine was a D2) I also had to change out my canshaft postion sensor because it kept blowing a fuse causing the car to not start. I do not know which fuse it was because I took it to the shop for that one. I would check the fuses and relays then go from there.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by airisgood01
... I do not have a scanner to check for the fault codes.
As a side note, a basic scanner can be had for b/w $50-100. All you need is codes - plus, it *will* tell you if the signal to turn on your check engine light is being sent (MIL status) by the ECU regardless of whether it's on in your dash.

I know budget can be a concern, but those $50-100 can save you tons of money in parts that you could otherwise end up throwing at a problem without diagnosis.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

-Anthony

Old 05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Winching

The shop manual states that if the cam position sensor fails, the fault may not be noticed by the driver.

It will turn on the check engine lite.

To me, that means it'll run, you may not even notice other than poor mileage and the check engine lite.

Did you download the rave cd? did you read about the sensors?

Antmen is 100% correct - the code reader would have paid for itself several times over.

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 05-14-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor