Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I have 60k service done anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I have 60k service done anywhere?

I have a 2004 Disco II that has been meticulously maintained with service at dealer every 6months. The warranty expired this year and was thinking of taking to a trusted, local mechanic for scheduled maintenance to avoid high dealer prices.

Is this a good idea and can most mechanics service a disco as well as the dealer? I would like to have the 60k service performed at the local shop, but was a little unsure if any shop can do things like change transfer gearbox oil, front and rear axle oil, etc..

Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, any mechanic can work on your truck, a car is a car is a car is a car is a car is a car is a car.....your transfer case is no different than any other, it has a drain plug and a fill plug and it take gear lube NOT atf like some do.
Same thing with yoru differentials, drain plug, fill plug, fill with gear oil.
The ONLY thing you need the dealer for is to clear ABS codes, thats it, nothing else.
And if you happen to find a indie shop that can clear Rover ABS codes then great, you will never need to go to the dealer ever again.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike 555, thanks for the reality check. I will definitely have my truck serviced at the local place. One question...ABS codes? Are these the lights that turn on when service needed (ie. check engine, etc.)? If yes, I don't have any currently on and I hope the mechanic doesn't trigger any either!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Spike is wrong. ALL of The 60k miles service list should be done by the actual owner of the vehicle. It's the only way you will ever appreciate your Land Rover..... =)

Just kidding......Spike calm down...

But like Spike said, it can be done anywhere. it is just a cheaper if you can do it. Plus you learn about your rig too..

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spike, what's the ABS code that needs to be cleared at 60K that you mentioned? I rolled over 60K a while back, and didn't have any ABS codes... I am actually at 69K, and no issues with brakes, or ABS, other than just normal pad and rotor replacement...

Just curious.

J

Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BluDisco
Spike, what's the ABS code that needs to be cleared at 60K that you mentioned? I rolled over 60K a while back, and didn't have any ABS codes... I am actually at 69K, and no issues with brakes, or ABS, other than just normal pad and rotor replacement...

Just curious.

J

I dont think the ABS system signals a maintenance light at any given interval...

it just goes comes on if there is an ABS related fault.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think spike was just saying that ABS codes are the ONLY reason you might need a dealer (not that they need to be reset with the 60k service).

i'm likely in the minority...it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when my mechanic is a rover fanatic/expert. i don't like the idea of just "any" mechanic working on my truck. but I was the same way with my toyota.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, what I meant was not if, but WHEN the 3 Amigo's pop up, not that the ABS codes need to be reset at 60k, just whenever they come on.
LR uses a different ABS computer than Ford, Chevy, etc. so your average shop will not have the equipment to read/clear these codes.
You can buy your own LR ABS code reader and then when the ABS light comes on you can read/clear the codes yourself.
ABS codes can be triggered by any number of things, a bad wheel speed sensor, bad hub, worn brake pads, almost anything.

And jycsalas is right, YOU should be the one doing the service to your truck, however not everbody is capible or wants to get dirty, and thats ok.
I like to, its 96*F and I just came in from crawling under my truck.
My wifes going to be pissed when she touches the mouse and it has grease on it.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why would you take your truck and all your credit cards to a mechanic, who will charge you around $1200 to $1400 to do the service list I have posted, when parts are $350 and 6 hours of your time?????????????????????????

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My indy mechanic quoted $750.

Quick Reply: Can I have 60k service done anywhere?