Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can she hold till Thursday? Pray for me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 07:44 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Can she hold till Thursday? Pray for me.

Well, I was all ready to rebuild that driveshaft this past weekend, but the weather didn't cooperate.

Out of the three things I wanted to do this Saturday:
  1. rebuild front drive/propshaft
  2. replace front-right window regulator
  3. change oil/filter

I was only able to sneak in the regulator job (only took about 15 minutes), before the rain started coming down. Now, according to the weather, the rain will continue through tomorrow, Tuesday, and maybe give way to only clouds on Wednesday with a partly sunny Thursday.

With 92K miles on her, yet no vibrations up to and a little over 85MPH and no clunking when shifting into reverse, I'm hoping she will hold out the week. I'm praying to the mechanical gods.

It's our DD so she'll be making 28-mile roundtrips daily in stop & go NYC traffic.
I might have to get the rain poncho ready and bite the bullet to just "git 'er done."

Please, send positive hold-together vibes for me.

-Anthony

Last edited by Antmen; 04-26-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2010 | 08:22 AM
Administrator

Take the front drive shaft off and drive in high lock till you can rebuild it.

Old 04-26-2010 | 08:27 AM
|
Rock Crawling

That's a great idea! I can rebuild indoors that way - I work from home. Then when my wife returns from work, I can put it back in.

Thanks, Mike!

So, all I'll do is shift into High Lock. Nothing else needs to be done underneath right? Speeds of up to 70MPH on her commute won't negatively affect the trans?

-Anthony

Old 04-26-2010 | 08:47 AM
Administrator

That's all you have to do, yes up to 70, if she has to, but not full throttle excellerations.

Old 04-26-2010 | 09:59 AM
|
Rock Crawling

No worries there; My wife has very light foot plus the George Washington Bridge & FDR Highway in the AM/PM rush is a parking lot.

Thanks again!

I'll update everyone on the results. 'Looking forward to the work (believe it or not.)

-Anthony

Old 04-26-2010 | 10:18 AM

yeah +2 hi-lock will give you some time to get it sorted. weather should clear by Thursday and you can re-install on the weekend.

Old 04-26-2010 | 10:59 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Thanks, Ed.

The upcoming weekends are full of kid birthdays, etc. with only *this* upcoming Sunday open. Knowing myself, I can't sleep till a project is done, so I'll probably drop it tonight and work on it indoors during the day tomorrow and then, if I have to wait till the weekend, all I have to do on Sunday is bolt it back on (like you said.) However, I'll probably bolt it back on before then (again - knowing myself.)

That's the plan anyway.

-Anthony

Old 04-26-2010 | 11:48 AM

just make sure you mark the shaft where it was connected so you can put it back together correctly. might also help to have it balanced at a drive line shop. even if you install the u-joints and centering ball kit yourself.

Old 04-26-2010 | 01:05 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Will do. 'Keep ya posted.

I'll mark it and will probably have to turn the front wheels while in neutral to line it back up since she'll be driven. I'll test it first and then decide if I'll take it to get balanced. Several driveline shops in the area.

-Anthony

Old 04-27-2010 | 06:40 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Round 1 goes to the Disco.

I can't get to a bolt by the transfer case and since she's on a lift ramp - not jack stands - I can't rotate the front wheels to better position it. Now, I've lost daylight.

I'll try again tomorrow after picking up some jack stands. I would move the truck back a little, but don't want it to rest on the incline.

-Anthony

EDIT: In case you're wondering, I have not loosened any other bolts. I figured I'd get at the hard one first, just in case I couldn't get it off. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quick Reply: Can she hold till Thursday? Pray for me.