Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you mount a hi jack to a Thule rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you mount a hi jack to a Thule rack

I have both the high thule rack in the back and the Thule cross bar rack in the front, can I mount a serious jack up there? Also can one of those high jacks be used to do any work like brake changes and a spring shock kit? If not, what is the most economical option for a jack stand kit that is substantial enough for work on a disco?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you can use quick fist's to mount it up there if you really wanted, just stick it in the trunk. use the bottle jack to do brake changes and you can use the bottle jack to take the body off the frame to do the springs and shocks.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your questions scare me about that high lift jack, they are deadly in inexperienced hands. They have a nasty habit of slipping their loads and I don't know of anyone that can bench press a disco. Sure they look cool mounted on an expedition rack, but that is where they should stay. If you do not have steel bumpers and/or rock sliders with jack lift points then the high lift jack is not of much use to you. Be careful with that thing. Don't take this wrong, my concern is your safety.
Safety first, if you are working on or under the disco then use jack stands, the bigger the better. Don't work on a vehicle that is supported only by a jack. I have a set of 6 ton stands from HF, they will take the load and give you enough height and their price is fair. Get a 20 ton bottle jack while you are there - mainly for the lift height.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Your questions scare me about that high lift jack, they are deadly in inexperienced hands. They have a nasty habit of slipping their loads and I don't know of anyone that can bench press a disco. Sure they look cool mounted on an expedition rack, but that is where they should stay. If you do not have steel bumpers and/or rock sliders with jack lift points then the high lift jack is not of much use to you. Be careful with that thing. Don't take this wrong, my concern is your safety.
Safety first, if you are working on or under the disco then use jack stands, the bigger the better. Don't work on a vehicle that is supported only by a jack. I have a set of 6 ton stands from HF, they will take the load and give you enough height and their price is fair. Get a 20 ton bottle jack while you are there - mainly for the lift height.
+1 to all of the above.

The high lift jacks are dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you really want to carry one, lay it across the floor in the back seat and zip tie it down to the back of the front seat bases to keep it from flopping around. This will keep it out of the way, and protect the jack from the elements.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Can you mount a Hi-Lift to a Thule rack?
Yes, yes you can.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33519

Just space your cross bars far enough apart to get a good fit.