Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't fill gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Can't fill gas tank?

Haven't run into this yet. Not sure what the hold up is. Tank at 1/4. Go-to fill up and the fuel just comes out the nozzle as if it's full. Filler keeps kicking off. Managed to be patient and fill it slowly to get by but 20 minutes for 15 gallons is just annoying. Gas attendant didn't like me either.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

I was about to joke that you should just take it to Oregon and have someone fill it up for you, but then I saw you were from Bend, so my joke was preemptively ruined. It could be a clogged fuel vent hose, there is a forum post on how to replace it here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...nt-hose-41987/

But that looks like a big job, so I would see if it happens at another gas station, maybe there is something peculiar about the D2 filler hose and that pump/station which is causing fuel to splash back and kick out the trigger. Alternatively I have heard of folks pouring fuel injector cleaner down the hose to try and clear gunk out of it.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
GoRoll (10-15-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not saying you don't have something wrong, but old cars are notoriously finicky with modern fuel pumps and can differ from station to station. I have yet to run into a problem with my D2, but I have a 1995 Mercedes and a 1985 Lotus that have both encountered fuel filling issues at different gas stations at different times. At some stations I have to fill my Mercedes at half-speed otherwise the pump cuts off, and there are some stations my Lotus just won't accept fuel from at any speed without it spilling out from the cap after a few seconds.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Mine did this too. I tried another petrol station down the road and it pumped fine.
I came back to the same petrol station I had initially had problems with but used a different pump and it pumped fine. Weird.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 AM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

i'm dealing with this right now myself. my truck suddenly started doing it a couple of tanks ago, after having been fine for as long as i've owned it.
all advice and logic points to it being a blockage in one of the venting lines. so last night i removed the charcoal canister and blew compressed air through each of the lines in turn (with the gas cap off) except for the purge line that goes back to the intake manifold. i could hear the vapour line to the fuel tank bubbling so i'm assuming that something was getting through. i also blew through each of the ports in the charcoal canister itself.
i haven't had a chance to try to fill the tank yet to test for any improvement, but i'm hopeful.

the link posted above is for a d1. the d2 system might be different.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I've been watching YouTube videos of people having the same non-filling/splash back problems but not on a Land Rover. I've seen people flush out their charcoal canister one way with water or compressed air. I might go the compressed air route as you did.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Mine did this too. I tried another petrol station down the road and it pumped fine.
I came back to the same petrol station I had initially had problems with but used a different pump and it pumped fine. Weird.
Same thing happens to me, baffling why some pumps do this and most don't.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the fuel vent valve ???

Old 10-11-2019, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll tinker with it this weekend. I'll also try another station. Really annoyed with the whole thing. I'll figure it out though. Appreciate it.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:31 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

not sure if it was blowing out the lines that helped, or using a different pump at the same gas station, but i filled up today without any trouble at all.

Quick Reply: Can't fill gas tank?