Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find kickdown cable adjustment in RAVE

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with the others, I learned the hard way too. Due to the trans cooler lines, it has to be running while the plug is removed. When I was low because i filled it turned off, I had similar issues. Top that sucker up!!

Old 11-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. You guys are awesome and totally took away the sick feeling that the trans valve body or something was toast. I'm going to top it off tomorrow WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING as per the RAVE manual.

How much damage did I possibly do by driving it roughly 10 miles with a quart low on trans fluid? There were some times after cold starts that I revved it pretty high to try and get the gear to engage and the truck would barely move for a minute. I'm worried I might've burned up the clutches or something.

Last edited by Irri4894; 11-22-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Irri4894
Thanks everyone. You guys are awesome and totally took away the sick feeling that the trans valve body or something was toast. I'm going to top it off tomorrow WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING as per the RAVE manual.

How much damage did I possibly do by driving it roughly 10 miles with a quart low on trans fluid? There were some times after cold starts that I revved it pretty high to try and get the gear to engage and the truck would barely move for a minute. I'm worried I might've burned up the clutches or something.
I did the same thing. Like you are literally describing my exact symptoms until I put that extra quart in. It was actually more than a quart, so buy two. It's totally fine now. Hoping that's all it is! Please update us.

Old 11-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Broken08
I did the same thing. Like you are literally describing my exact symptoms until I put that extra quart in. It was actually more than a quart, so buy two. It's totally fine now. Hoping that's all it is! Please update us.
How much did you drive it before topping it off?

Been raining all day. I didn't get a chance to get it taken care of today. I'll get it done first thing tomorrow then update.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mln01
I think Richard meant to say do not remove the filler plug with the engine off or turn off the engine until the filler plug is back in.

Been there. Done that.
What happens if you remove the filler plug with the engine off? There's a difference compared to when the engines running and I remove it? Also why turn it off until it's back in? Sorry I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this particular procedure

Last edited by Irri4894; 11-23-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:15 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by Irri4894
What happens if you remove the filler plug with the engine off? There's a difference compared to when the engines running and I remove it? Also why turn it off until it's back in? Sorry I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this particular procedure
if you turn the engine off with the filler plug removed, the transmission fluid will pour out until it's down to the level of the hole. the fluid level is supposed to be above the hole which is the entire reason to fill while the engine is running.
when the engine is running, many parts like the cooler lines are filled with fluid because the pumps in the transmission are also running. this lowers the fluid level inside the transmission.

The following users liked this post:
Broken08 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Rock Crawling

Yup, what he said. Now yes, I agree, they should have just raised the plug hole to the correct height, but they didn't.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mollusc
if you turn the engine off with the filler plug removed, the transmission fluid will pour out until it's down to the level of the hole. the fluid level is supposed to be above the hole which is the entire reason to fill while the engine is running.
when the engine is running, many parts like the cooler lines are filled with fluid because the pumps in the transmission are also running. this lowers the fluid level inside the transmission.
Could you tell me the possible damage of driving it about 10 miles with it a quart low? A couple times I revved it pretty high to get it moving after a cold start.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Every amount of driving with it low is going to burn up more and more of the clutches.

10 miles on a healthy transmission? Probably did not kill it. 50 miles? You likely did some lasting damage/wear. Fill it the right way.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Overlanding

Quick update. So here's the situation. Went under the truck to top off fluid. While running and topping it off I noticed a heavy drip coming from the front of the car. The lower trans cooler line is leaking right at the coupling to the cooler. Its shooting out from a rusted through spot right at the coupler. Since the prices for these lines are ridiculous I am going to try and jerry rig it either tomorrow or the day after and give an update afterwards.

Quick Reply: Can't find kickdown cable adjustment in RAVE