Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant get caliper guide pin bolts out, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation cant get caliper guide pin bolts out, please help

Currently working on front passenger side caliper. There are 2 12 mm caliper guide pin bolts which will not come off. Ive saturated them with liquid wrench and pounded the area with the hammer and still no luck. The upper guide pin bolt is starting to stripe as usual... I just dont understand how anyone can remove caliper bolts in general. Ive always had this issue with every car Ive worked on. Bolts are on so tight and corroded that you cant get them off without breaking off the head of the bolt or stripping it. I bought EVERYTHING I though I would need, including a new caliper guide pin kit and the specialty 12 point metric socket kit just for this job. But now it seems like I need some kind of new tool and new caliper guide pin bolts (which did not come with the guide pin kit...

Any ideas would be great here.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Can you get to the caliper bracket bolts? I cannot remember on these cars, but on most cars they are bigger, so less likely to break or round off. Then maybe you can work on it easier with the hole thing off the car.

We don't get a lot rust here, so I think I was able to just use hand tools to take my calipers off when I did my lift and brake lines. Though if the air compressor is turned on, I like using an impact on a lot of things under the car.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
Can you get to the caliper bracket bolts? I cannot remember on these cars, but on most cars they are bigger, so less likely to break or round off. Then maybe you can work on it easier with the hole thing off the car.

We don't get a lot rust here, so I think I was able to just use hand tools to take my calipers off when I did my lift and brake lines. Though if the air compressor is turned on, I like using an impact on a lot of things under the car.
No if I removed the caliper then it would be even harder to remove the guide pins because there would be nothing to hold the caliper still and no leverage. Yeah up here in New Hampshire EVERYTHING rusts.... grant my underbody looks good from what I can see, but the nuts and bolts - forget it! Cant take them off without them stripping or breaking off. Unfortunately for me I have no garage and no advanced power tools. Ill just have to wait afew days until my cousin can give me a hand. Hes got the one tool that will get those bolts off - TURBO TORCH. Those chemicals like PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench dont do **** up here!

Thanks anyways though

Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If all the fluid has been drained from the caliper and the line is unhooked, if you were real careful you might be able to put a small torch to the bolt to free them up, just be careful, I don't want to read in your next thread that your truck has burned to the ground.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM
TReK

Sometimes it really sucks living so far north, might as well pack my bags and move to Alaska! Same circumstances but at least I could get a awesome job as a deckhand on a crab fishing vessel!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If all the fluid has been drained from the caliper and the line is unhooked, if you were real careful you might be able to put a small torch to the bolt to free them up, just be careful, I don't want to read in your next thread that your truck has burned to the ground.
In that case Ill have to drain the entire brake system while the old calipers/rotors/pads are still installed, then Ill rinse everything off with some water before I use the turbo torch on the bolts. That should help reduce the chances of a fire..

Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Use PB Blaster and heat. Since you are replacing everything anyway there is no concern about cooking the seals. Also, if you unbolt the caliper brackets everything will come off at once. You can get the calipers apart then.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Use PB Blaster and heat. Since you are replacing everything anyway there is no concern about cooking the seals. Also, if you unbolt the caliper brackets everything will come off at once. You can get the calipers apart then.

Read above: as I mentioned above if I take off the caliper first then I will have no leverage to hold the caliper still in order to get the guide pins out. and I do not have a bench vice. Already tried liquid wrench (same thing as PB Blaster) and no luck, the bolts are to tight and to corroded. A torch is the only option I have now....

Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are these what you are talking about?
Caliper Guide Pin Kit - Rear (Part # STC1910) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British
Or these?
Caliper Bolt - Metric (FTC3375G Same Fit As Part # FTC3375) - Land Rover bolts\clamps\brackets\washers from Atlantic British

What am I missing here? You have new calipers, all you need to do is remove the old ones and install the new along with your new pads, so what am I missing?
2 bolts and one brake line, done.

Last edited by Spike555; 12-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Are these what you are talking about?
Caliper Guide Pin Kit - Rear (Part # STC1910) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British
Or these?
Caliper Bolt - Metric (FTC3375G Same Fit As Part # FTC3375) - Land Rover bolts\clamps\brackets\washers from Atlantic British

What am I missing here? You have new calipers, all you need to do is remove the old ones and install the new along with your new pads, so what am I missing?
2 bolts and one brake line, done.
Neither.
Look at the pic in the link of the caliper. Its the 12mm bolt.
DIY: Part I — Replacing Rear Rotors and Brake Pads on a Land Rover Discovery II - MAVROMATIC
now I could be calling it the wrong thing (IE: Caliper guide pin bolt) but Im pretty sure that the 12mm bolt goes in or right above the guide pin, in the same hole. This is the bolt: Caliper Guide Pin Bolt (Genuine Part # STC1914) - Land Rover bolts\clamps\brackets\washers from Atlantic British
and of course thats the only bolt i did not order and now its stripped so Im gonna have to find something at a local parts store.

Quick Reply: cant get caliper guide pin bolts out, please help