Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Where did you source the replacement heater return pipe?

Old 06-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Where did you source the replacement heater return pipe?
...bought it "used" on eBay, and it is in pretty good shape, will see how it holds after everything is hooked up, I'm on it as I write this. ;-]#

Old 06-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Winching

..:: WEEKEND UPDATE ::..

Spent the weekend trying to put all things back together after "The Rocker Assembly Cleaning Situation" and "The Coil Pack Fastening Situation"; in this order, still left to insert the heater return pipe (Leak-Lock did not arrive on time), heater hoses, alternator, belt, fan, check all is fastened correctly, and other minor details, which I'm hoping to finish today, wait a day for the seal to sit nicely and pour in coolant and jump the truck back to life; if all good, it will sound and run nicely; I need it to since wife's C320 is acting up bad!

One thing that gave me hell putting back in was the metal tubing that connect to both SAI Control valves, had to put in and bck out a couple times until finally figuring it out again, besides, it has a plate in the middle to fasten it to the engine according to RAVE, but I don't see how, and it also mentions a clip that it is supposed to be secured on, that I don't also see. In the attemp, the plastic hose that goes into the pump broke off and had to "duct-tape-it", hopefully it will hold, at least until I can replace it, if necessary.

---

As per the "brake servo vaccum line" that initially broke off, along with the "red thingy" that holds it, I temporarily secured it -I hope- with clear RTV sealant; again, I hope it holds until I can replace it, if necesssary.

So far the two above, plus an over-tightened screw that broke off while fastening the rocker cover and had to use an old one for now, are the only hiccups found along the way.

Soon we'll see the fruit of our labor, and hopefully it will be a tasty one, good taste I'm looking for, unlike that "crap sandwich" I took a bite off with my eyes shut! ;-]

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-06-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
..:: WEEKEND UPDATE ::..

Spent the weekend trying to put all things back together after "The Rocker Assembly Cleaning Situation" and "The Coil Pack Fastening Situation"; in this order, still left to insert the heater return pipe (Leak-Lock did not arrive on time), heater hoses, alternator, belt, fan, check all is fastened correctly, and other minor details, which I'm hoping to finish today, wait a day for the seal to sit nicely and pour in coolant and jump the truck back to life; if all good, it will sound and run nicely; I need it to since wife's C320 is acting up bad!

One thing that gave me hell putting back in was the metal tubing that connect to both SAI Control valves, had to put in and bck out a couple times until finally figuring it out again, besides, it has a plate in the middle to fasten it to the engine according to RAVE, but I don't see how, and it also mentions a clip that it is supposed to be secured on, that I don't also see. In the attemp, the plastic hose that goes into the pump broke off and had to "duct-tape-it", hopefully it will hold, at least until I can replace it, if necessary.

---

As per the "brake servo vaccum line" that initially broke off, along with the "red thingy" that holds it, I temporarily secured it -I hope- with clear RTV sealant; again, I hope it holds until I can replace it, if necesssary.

So far the two above, plus an over-tightened screw that broke off while fastening the rocker cover and had to use an old one for now, are the only hiccups found along the way.

Soon we'll see the fruit of our labor, and hopefully it will be a tasty one, good taste I'm looking for, unlike that "crap sandwich" I took a bite off with my eyes shut! ;-]
Oh I didn't know you had SAI. Makes everything harder. Sympathies.

I've had to replace my little red ring fitting and THAT thing is a crap sandwich. You have to take the upper intake off to get the old one out (presses out from the inside with a long socket extension and a mallet). But if and when you do that, be the hero and get a threaded brass fitting and tap that hole, then post what you got. The plastic fitting costs more than a bag of brass ones and is doomed to future failure on a vehicle burdened with electronics that cannot stand the whiff of fresh, un metered air.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Oh I didn't know you had SAI. Makes everything harder. Sympathies.

I've had to replace my little red ring fitting and THAT thing is a crap sandwich. You have to take the upper intake off to get the old one out (presses out from the inside with a long socket extension and a mallet). But if and when you do that, be the hero and get a threaded brass fitting and tap that hole, then post what you got. The plastic fitting costs more than a bag of brass ones and is doomed to future failure on a vehicle burdened with electronics that cannot stand the whiff of fresh, un metered air.
...yup, those SAI thingies are evil things from hell, a whole case filled with "crap sandwiches", as you like to call it!

As per that other thingy, I thought it came out by unscrewing it -can't say I did not try; and yup! saw that it costs nearly 39 bucks! chose to get the heater hose instead and preferred to roll my dices with the silicon option, at least for now!

Anyways, things are coming along pretty well, considering it has taken a while, but I'm taking my time and learning as I go, hopefully taking notes for the future, although I always seem to forget that SAI aluminum pipe, which seems to be like the Devil himself! ;-]#

Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...yup, those SAI thingies are evil things from hell, a whole case filled with "crap sandwiches", as you like to call it!

As per that other thingy, I thought it came out by unscrewing it -can't say I did not try; and yup! saw that it costs nearly 39 bucks! chose to get the heater hose instead and preferred to roll my dices with the silicon option, at least for now!

Anyways, things are coming along pretty well, considering it has taken a while, but I'm taking my time and learning as I go, hopefully taking notes for the future, although I always seem to forget that SAI aluminum pipe, which seems to be like the Devil himself! ;-]#
My truck didn't come with SAI and when I got a replacement engine that had it I just plugged the holes. It is just an expensive, complicated add on to make a carbon belching truck a little less gassy for a few seconds at startup. But if your ECU expects it, you get An SES light if you don't have it. Probably a California genuflect. As far as I know, when SAI was added they eliminated the oil cooler. Doh!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Winching

..:: UPDATE ::..

Finally the "Leak Lock" arrived and in the heater return pipe went!

---

---

I'll let it do its thing overnight, and tomorrow after work I'll finish up and turn the key; finger crossed, everything will sound as usual or better!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 PM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

Don't forget to add coolant before you turn the key!

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
Don't forget to add coolant before you turn the key!
...no worries, have the jugs right in front of the truck! ;-]#

Old 06-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Winching

..:: UPDATE ::..

...IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE! AND RUNS! ...let me tell ya'll that after putting everything back together my Disco2 is alive and kicking! ...did have to send a message to "Ground Control" and said... "HOUSTON, WE'VE GOT A PROBLEM! BLINKERS ARE FLASHING, VEHICLE IS CRANKING AND WANTS TO START, BUT NEGATIVE, IT'S A NO GO FOR LAUNCH" ...fortunately "Ground Control" was ready on deck and supplied the procedure to reset the thing and get it to start, flawlessly!

It does not appear to show any signs of leak as per "The Heater Return Pipe Situation", yet again it was dark and all attention was steered to getting the Disco2 running, which at a first glance does it very serene and sounding nice... took it for a spin and feels nice and responsive... although there is a leak at the point where the hose meets the matrix pipe at the firewall, I'm hoping I just did not push it in farther enough, or better yet, the clamp isn't clamping right, but I'll look into it further tomorrow, when lighting situation gets better, and also report back on the Heater Return Pipe, which is the reason for all this ordeal... which I must say enjoyed pretty much and feel very proud of having done, I have really learned a lot and the input and feedback from all of you has been awesome, thank you all!

Quick Reply: CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some