Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...as per the sludge situation, I understand where you're going, but without much knowledge of what I might be getting myself into, not sure I want to venture into unbolting the thing and attempt a thorough cleaning of it, I'm amfraid getting things even further south than how they are now! ...encouragement might come in handy at this point! ;-]#
Well I'm not sure if you want encouragement about the sludge or removing the heads but yo

Old 05-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy

...as per the sludge situation, I understand where you're going, but without much knowledge of what I might be getting myself into, not sure I want to venture into unbolting the thing and attempt a thorough cleaning of it, I'm amfraid getting things even further south than how they are now! ...encouragement might come in handy at this point! ;-]#
Phone screwed me.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay this is not the way to get a post count. I need a new phone.

You'll be okay either way. Head removal is a rite of passage but I'd do it in an air conditioned garage or wait until they blow. I can still see the outline of my flip flops on my feet from working on my rover this weekend and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Okay this is not the way to get a post count. I need a new phone.

You'll be okay either way. Head removal is a rite of passage but I'd do it in an air conditioned garage or wait until they blow. I can still see the outline of my flip flops on my feet from working on my rover this weekend and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

...yup, a "rite of passage" alright, will get there eventually though! ;-]# ...I used to work in flip flops here in sunny sofla, but decided to work in tennis shoes this weekend for a better grip and threw a couple cold ones in the mix for hydration! ;-]#

Old 05-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Minimum quick and dirty sludge removal/clean w/o head removal should include rocker shaft and push rod removal. Clean the heck out of those and ensure no oil passages blocked. Reinstall rods and shaft.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:06 PM
TReK
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Yeah, I would not pull the heads yet. There's plenty of time for that task, and you know it's coming sooner or later anyway.

As number9 says, pull the rocker shaft and push rods to facilitate cleaning of the top side of the heads. That's only a couple more bolts, but make sure you loosen and tighten evenly so you don't run the risk of warping anything. Plug any fluid holes in the head with heavy duty paper towels, and carefully dig out the sludge. Pick up a couple of cheapo aluminium pans at a dollar store to use as cleaning trays for your rocker shafts -- I wouldn't worry about disassembling them but do make sure to run a piece of wire through the various oil holes to clear them. And poke some holes in a piece of cardboard to keep your pushrods in the same order as they come out. Ideally they should go back in the same position they came from.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Winching

LOL ...you guys are making me feel like "the 40 yr Old Virgin" ...about to get his cherry popped in this turn of events; from a supposedly "O-Ring" quick fix, to an awesome sludge buildup clean-up! ...forget about "thread lightly"! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 05-23-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy

LOL ...you guys are making me feel like "the 40 yr Old Virgin" ...about to get his cherry popped in this turn of events; from a supposedly "O-Ring" quick fix, to an awesome sludge buildup clean-up! ...forget about "thread lightly"! ;-]#
Hahaha. So true! But it is a fantastic, award winning, sludge buildup. you don't want that in your oil pan and pickup tube screen.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-23-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Winching

...anyone knows what size is the ECT Sensor nut and the base? need to get a wrench to get it out, don't want to hit it trying to pry out the heater return, thanks!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Camel Trophy

The temp sensor on the lower intake? I think it is a 22mm.

Give that heater line what for! Show it who's boss!

Quick Reply: CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some