Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me be the first to congratulate you!
Any idea what the adhesive was that a previous owner used to impair your ability to properly repair your Rover?

Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

And now the question is whether or not the plenum orifice is damaged beyond being usable, i.e. will a replacement pipe and new O-ring be able to seal effectively?

Old 05-30-2016, 08:15 AM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

Damn, that's hella ugly.
I'd also be concerned about getting a seal on those surfaces. I'm assuming that leakage is the reason that you started this whole adventure, so you'd essentially be right back where you started.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

You won. Again.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:40 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Let me be the first to congratulate you!
Any idea what the adhesive was that a previous owner used to impair your ability to properly repair your Rover?
...thanks NickAdams! ...and nope, it seems nothing was added, it might has yet been time, heat, water, coolant, and a heck of bad luck! ...but is out!

Old 05-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mln01
And now the question is whether or not the plenum orifice is damaged beyond being usable, i.e. will a replacement pipe and new O-ring be able to seal effectively?
...I guess you're right MLN01, although the orifice does feel to be in good shape. I presented the replacement part and it does go in - with an old O-ring- with a good fit, so I'm hoping that it would seal better with the new one. I'm also planning on putting some "Leak Lock" to the pipe when finally putting it all back together.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
Damn, that's hella ugly.
I'd also be concerned about getting a seal on those surfaces. I'm assuming that leakage is the reason that you started this whole adventure, so you'd essentially be right back where you started.
...pic does look more dramatic than how it actually is Mollusc, but I'm confident it will seal good and stop the leakage that I set out to fix, what an adventure! ...but again the orifice does have a nice feel to it, and we only worked on the part that stayed in and had to remove... the outer part did received a beating, but it's just cosmetics! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 05-31-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
You won. Again.
...sure did Charlie_V! and soon you'll see how the cleaning situation is coming out, everything looks pretty awesome, and hopefully will work that way too. Once all is clean I'll move onto putting all back together and finally give the heater return pipe it's do or die test! ;-]#

Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 AM
Winching

"Pop quiz, hotshot. Do I pull, twist or both to get the "oil separator" out? and, Do you know the specs of the bolts that hold the "Coil Pack" assembly in place, mine is loose, just sitting there? what do you do? what do you do?" ;-]#

Old 05-31-2016, 08:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Oil separator pulls out from the bottom on some years and the top on others. What year is yours?

Those little bolts. I don't know the specs but they fall all of the time so it would be good to know. I know they are the same as the bolts on the fuel rail (but longer) but that's no help because those are buried deeper. I'll see if I can find an extra one and have the shop tell me what it is, unless someone else knows. The have to be an M2 or M4 with 1.25 or 1.50 pitch about 5/8ths (inch) long.

Quick Reply: CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some