Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't turn key in ignition; Anti Theft immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't turn key in ignition; Anti Theft immobilizer?

Hey folks!

I have a 2000 Disco II that will not start because I cannot turn the key into the ignition. I believe that this is due to the anti theft immobilizer; I recently replaced the water pump and coolant expansion tank and unplugged the battery while doing so. I am not positive if this is why the anti theft immobilizer started going bonkers, but the ignition will not let my key turn and it previously started numerous times (it had been no more than 2 weeks since I last started it).

I have tried the unlock/ lock doors 3 times or whatever trick but to no avail. Please help!!

Old 06-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

That's not how the immobilizer works.

Try to insert the key on the opposite side you're trying now (the key is two-sided), and if the front wheels aren't straight ahead, you may need to turn the wheel slightly in either direction to release tension on the steering lock pin to get the cylinder to turn.

Failing all of that, you might need a new ignition cylinder.

The following users liked this post:
montanajack12 (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM
4wd Low

I cant turn the wheels at all unfortunately (and the front wheels are not straight), the steering wheel is locked up. Also, there is a red light on the dash that goes flashes rapidly everytime I even unlock the car.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:30 PM
4wd Low

also, just to clarify, the key can not even turn to position I; it is stuck on position 0.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried moving the steering wheel back and forth? Also the key sometimes gets stuck you may have to push it in, pull down, and out very fast.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Turn the wheel harder while turning the key, in which ever direction has give. It sounds like the steering column is bound up hard on the steering lock pawl. You're going to have to release the tension on that lock pawl in order to rotate the key.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:20 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Racer X
Turn the wheel harder while turning the key, in which ever direction has give. It sounds like the steering column is bound up hard on the steering lock pawl. You're going to have to release the tension on that lock pawl in order to rotate the key.

Just tried; no luck. I dont think I need a new ignition cylinder, it worked fine recently. Is there any possibility that it could be the battery? It is old and doesnt have much charge (also might not be the right size)

Old 06-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Montana, is the key stuck in the ignition? Or you put it in and it won't turn?

Old 06-20-2016, 07:46 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by samroy92
Montana, is the key stuck in the ignition? Or you put it in and it won't turn?
I put it in and it wont turn... any suggestions? Inertia switch? Should I try disconnecting the battery and then turning key?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

...I recently had my car w/o battery for over 2 weeks while doing some repairs, when all was put back together car didn't turn on, it cranked, but didn't turn on, and emergency lights were blinking. Another user told me to do the following -thought he was kidding, but worked, at one point my key didn't want to turn either- so as Yoda would say "...do or do not, there is no try..."

"Hmm. Yeah. Unlock doors with key. Put key in ignition. Turn to position two. Leave key. Roll down driver window. Leave driver door open. Unhook battery. Touch battery wires together. Let them sit 5 minutes touching each other. Hook back up to battery. Drive away happy (hopefully)."

...also press the button on the "inertia switch" just in case it thinks you had an accident.

...if yours turns on, then thank good ol' "Charlie_V" ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-20-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't turn key in ignition; Anti Theft immobilizer?