Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't turn key in ignition; Anti Theft immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...I recently had my car w/o battery for over 2 weeks while doing some repairs, when all was put back together car didn't turn on, it cranked, but didn't turn on, and emergency lights were blinking. Another user told me to do the following -thought he was kidding, but worked, at one point my key didn't want to turn either- so as Yoda would say "...do or do not, there is no try..."

"Hmm. Yeah. Unlock doors with key. Put key in ignition. Turn to position two. Leave key. Roll down driver window. Leave driver door open. Unhook battery. Touch battery wires together. Let them sit 5 minutes touching each other. Hook back up to battery. Drive away happy (hopefully)."

...also press the button on the "inertia switch" just in case it thinks you had an accident.

...if yours turns on, then thank good ol' "Charlie_V" ;-]#

That's one hell of a sequence! LOL
I believe it though. Charlie V. Seems like a really good guy. I don't think he would steer you wrong.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Try a different key.

montanajack12 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
That's one hell of a sequence! LOL
I believe it though. Charlie V. Seems like a really good guy. I don't think he would steer you wrong.

...it was a helluva sequence indeed! thought he was pulling my leg, but he had been given me lots of help through the fix that brought me to that point, so went with it since had nothing to lose, and worked like a charm. It was a relief to hear my truck come to life after a couple weeks in my garage. ;-]#

Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this....Make sure your gear shifter is all the way forward in park. Sometimes my truck does this and usually this is the problem.

montanajack12 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:24 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

This shouldn't have anything to do with batteries or your theft immobilizer. Even if the car has been super locked or immobilized you can still physically put a key in the ignition and turn it...just nothing happens.
I had an issue a while back with a key that would not turn. It ended up being an issue with the key itself. It needed a hair more grinding on the end just before the plastic. I filed it down a hair and it went in and turned. Probably not your issue as you said the key worked in the past.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have tried everything above to no avail

Any other suggestions? (Thank all of you very much for your input so far)

CANNOT turn key from position 0 to any other position and I am beyond frustrated! Not sure if car is immobilized, new keys (although I used the same key to start the car no more than 2 weeks ago), etc.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Its about time to get "MontanaJack" on its A$$...ha. I would remove the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fixed it! had to jiggle keys for 45 min but once i got it started I centered the steering and havent had any problems starting since! Thank all of you for you help!

P.S. Only one of my keys starts the car and the other one unlocks; is this normal?

Old 06-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like someone has changed the ignition switch. Did both keys start it befor this problem? D*

Old 06-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mine is finicky with keys too. Some work both the door and ignition, others don't. Locksmith said that's what happens when they are getting worn out. Hard to make keys for them too, takes some skill with a file.

Quick Reply: Can't turn key in ignition; Anti Theft immobilizer?