Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATALITIC CONVERTER BAD ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CATALITIC CONVERTER BAD ????

I am not sure but there is a propellor sound that I think is coming from under the engine. It doesn't look there is any thing wrong with muffler. Is there a way I can look my self??

Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: CATALITIC CONVERTER BAD ????

year and mileage? just get under you truck and listen. There are a few things is could be....

You have 2 cats and there are a number of places you could have an exhaust leak. Does it do it in neutral, or only while driving. If it is #2, stop driving, you may be about to lose your front driveshaft. Then the tranny after it gets slapped out..

Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Mudding

she is a 2001 with just under 98k miles... it sounds like as i accelerate the sound intensifies. where do i look??

Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Mudding

the propeller sound is coming from the passenger side of the engine. it sounds like it's coming from underneath, it's also accompanied by a high pitch whining. the vehicle was in park and the sound begins immediately after starting it. if anyone has anything to offer please help, i'm supposed to drive backacross country in a few days.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy

Take it by your local Midas, they should do an exhaust inspection for free. Let us know what they find.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Is this exhaust or drive line related?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Mudding

On my way to midas now, thank you. And Mike, how do I know if its drive line or exhaust? I called my mechanic in ny and he tolod me how to listen while it was revved and in sounded to me like it was outside the engine. He said his best guess was that it was the manifold and just an exhaust leak. But not to bank to heavily on that. How can I tell??

Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Camel Trophy

If you haven't left yet, pop the hood and look at the belt. Make sure there isn't anything wound up in a pulley and that the fan is not broken. Because you said it does it when you first start it, sounds like exhaust to me. The guys at your local muffler shop can confirm easily.

Listen carefully to what they tell you is wrong. They will try to schedule an appointment, and if it is your cats or manifold, there are much cheaper, better alternatives to what they will tell you. They are a national chain, and have to abide by certain "corporate" guidelines. My buddy owns 2 Midas'. HE does great work, but I would not have the shopfix anything....

Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Mudding

i didn't get in to midas today but i am going in the mornig... i wiil chech the fan and belts before then... but when i was drving i paid close attention to my power and I have not lost any of my power is that an indicator of something???

Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Camel Trophy

just means you don't have a hole blown in the side of the motor. get it checked out asap

Quick Reply: CATALITIC CONVERTER BAD ????