Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATALITIC CONVERTER BAD ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CATALITIC CONVERTER BAD ????

ok so the midas guys no longer do a free anything at least not in oakland or san francisco!!! however i did manage to show up late enough to convince them to check and listen to the revs... they confirmed that the sound is def the manifold. Sooooooooooooo they wanna charge $160 to open it up and look, $200 if its just a gasket that needs to be replaced. That doesn't even come close to if the manifold has a hole or is cracked. How will I know if its just loose bolts from off roading??? Should I order a new manifold from the parts forum?? PLease advise....

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Start with the basics, what year is the truck, it may be covered by a recall.
You need to do some crawling around under the truck, to decide what is wrong , before asking us what to do.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: aublec22

she is a 2001 with just under 98k miles... it sounds like as i accelerate the sound intensifies. where do i look??
Pop the hood and look at the metal piece on the passenger side of the engine. If you start it cold, you should be able to feel around the metal pipes to see where it might be leaking. Do it fast, and make sure the manifold is cold before you start. It gets hot quick and will burn you. You need to figure out what side it is leaking from. Look for cracks around the bends of the manifolds. It is common for the RH manifold to crack.

Call you dealer with your VIN and ask them to run a recall check for you. Then, if you have no recalls, find a smaller muffler shop and let them look at it. They should charge you less, and if you need a new manifold, you can get a good used one from www.roverlandparts.com

Oh, and you might want to put your year and mileage in your signature. Saves people from going back and looking through the post for your info...

Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Mudding

First things first I updated my signiture. Next I know what the manifold is so i will be able to perform this test. Am I feeling for a burst of air?? what side might be leaking from?? engine side ? i pinpointed the sound to the passenger side.

What about the recall section on this sight? is it betterto just call the dealer?
Thank you

Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Mudding

no luck with the recalls[X(]

Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Mudding

Ok I had my girlfriend start it and I checked around the manifold. I can feel air/exhaust coming from the seam where the manifold connects to the front end exhaust pipe. I did not feel any cracks or holes. I am sure it was coming from the seam there. So do I need to just tighten the bolts and see if that works?? Is there supposed to be a gasket od some sort that may just need to be replaced? I have been off roading a bit recently and I suspect that the bolts may have simply loosened.

Thanks for all your help again.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy

Call the dealer with your VIN and see about recalls. Then, tell them your passenger side manifold has cracked, and since it is a know issue, se what they can do. Some dealers are great, some are poop. Mine just gave me a box of chocolates for picking up a filler neck grommet today. I don't think this will be under a recall since it is not a safety issue. If it was under warranty, they would replace it. But they might be cool and just charge you labor...(still an ouch)

If they won't help, you have 2 choices.

you can try to tighten the bolts. That is where they tend to crack, though. There is a metal gasket that goes between the manifold and the downpipe.

You can take it to a small muffler shop with a new gasket andjust get a good used manifold ($100) and gaskets ( have to get 2 for the manifold to engine) and have him replace it.

Sounds like you are headed down the right road and at least know what you are dealing with. Thanks for updating the sig, it helps a lot...

Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Mudding

sounds like a front driveshaft getting ready to go

Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Mudding

so i bought the right side manifold gasket at the dealership today. I found a small european auto shop who checked for the leak and confirmed that it was coming from the seam there... We can't be sure until tomorrow when we take it apart but it seems like its not major. will def update tomarrow. oh yeah work is only costing me $150

Old 01-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: sideburns

sounds like a front driveshaft getting ready to go
Have you read the posts on this? what makes you think that?

Quick Reply: CATALITIC CONVERTER BAD ????