Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: CATALYTIC CONVERTER

I just got mine replaced with Magnaflows. $325 total package. You can find a dealer on their website. It gave me a little more growl, and it does great on the highway now. Beats the heck out of buying the Y..

Old 06-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the big picture. Be environmentaly responsible. Just because you don't have local emission laws doesn't mean your doing the environment a favor by removing your cats. You wouldn't want to be behind someone else without cats would you-it stinks! You'll probably be smelling it when you have your windows down too. Disco's pollute enough as it is, just get new ones or magnaflows.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:25 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to get a magnaflow cc and they told me that since the engine was coding...it needed two spark plugs...that they wouldn't recommend replacing the cc until the codes were cleared and perhaps a tune up/trottle intake cleaning(?) so it wouldn't clog the new cc.

They did remove the old cc and it was plenty clogged...they put a pipe in temp to see if this would fix the problem. We replaced the two plugs, the engine code cleared and we thought that fixed the hesitation/rpm loss.

Then after driving it for a while the other day including on the highway it started to act up again...but not as severe...any ideas? Anything is very much appreciated!! Thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Camel Trophy

Sounds like there is something making your plugs fail. When was the last time you changed your plug wires? may be a dirty injector, what octane do you run?

Also what year and mileage on your truck?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
4wd Low

98/100K Looks like the same as yours

Old 06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
4wd Low

Our mechanic seems to think that we are still having some issues when the car gets warm because since we don't have our Cat on the sensors aren't talking to the other sensors..?? New spark plug wires and spark plugs recently. No codes showing at this time.

It's a big improvement to the rpm/power loss we had before...but it's still there.The rpm's aren't affected this time...it just "bucks" ever so slightly.

The cat place does suggest a 100K tune up...as far as the gas octane...no, I've been a bad girl...we NOW have Premium and will from now on. I assume this added to the problem. We had also run the STP type cleaner through it several times when we thought it was "bad gas".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Camel Trophy

run a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner through a couple of times. I would go for the Magnaflow cats for replacements. They are only about $75 a piece to replace + labor.

One thing you can do to increase performance is change all of you O2 sensors. They are about $100 a piece, but the ones you have are about gone. I need to do mine myself. Changing your plug wires to 8mm Magnacor wires and Bosch +4 plugs will give you a little bit more. Running anything other than 91 will gunk up your motor. Might look into a Seafoam treatment as well. I noticed a jump when I did mine, and a lot of crap burned out.

Get your cats fixed, run the Lucas through and get back to us if you are still having problems...

Oh, and get some pics up. Always nice to see another D1 out there..

Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

I just got mine replaced with Magnaflows. $325 total package. You can find a dealer on their website. It gave me a little more growl, and it does great on the highway now. Beats the heck out of buying the Y..
Question(s) for okdiscoguy. Did you use your old Y-pipe and cut out the old cats and weld in the new ones? Or was it a whole new Y-pipe?Do you know which Magnaflow cat they put in? (model #?) or is it just a universal hi-flow cat? I just scored a whole used exhaust from a 97 Disco of craigslist and want to experiment with the Y-pipe and a hi-flow cat set up.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Camel Trophy

The part # is 94004. Here is the link. http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...niversal=94004. It is a universal cat, but fits well. I re-used my old y. Make sure and check for leaks where the manifold mates with the Y. Have the shop weld it up if there is a crack. Should last you ok.

Good Luck!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks okdiscoguy! That looks good, I was wondering if I was going to have problems finding one that would fit in that narrow space on theone side. That looks almost like the OEM.

How much better does your truck run now? Do the plugs last longer? Better gas MPG?You say better on the hwy, better top end response? It seems mine could do better in the 3000-4000rpm range? When I first changed my plugs it was a lot more responsive there, then after a few days the performance dropped off again.

Quick Reply: CATALYTIC CONVERTER