Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catastrophic drivetrain failure - Stranded- need tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Catastrophic drivetrain failure - Stranded- need tips

So my Disco2 experienced a catastrophic failure at the worst possible time last night. I had been doing a 26 hour drive cross country to start a work contract for the summer. Car was running great after about 15 hours of straight driving and then I feel a sudden lurch backwards at highway speeds with no accompanying sound (was not accelerating particularly hard) I sort of dismissed it as it was dark, I was sleep deprived, perhaps I hit something small that I hadn't seen. Still I was carefully listening to the truck after that.

Afterwards the truck works and sounds completely normal -- was able to accelerate, downshift, go up hills at speed etc...

Then after maybe 2 miles I hear a horrible screeching/grinding on the right hand side of the vehicle that also seemed to pull it to the right a bit. So I pulled onto the shoulder to investigate what was clearly going to be a nightmare.

There is smoke billowing from the transfer case/transmission area but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. lots of dripping fluid from the AC compressor, but I don't see any exterior signs of damage on any of the drivetrain components

So I thought maybe I'll pull the car just a little further off the shoulder to be safe while help arrives. Except the car now doesn't move at all - no grinding noise either, just the engine revving.

When the tow truck comes to winch the disco (in Neutral) onto his bed the front wheels rotate normally but one of the back tires rotates along with the front, and the other doesn't rotate at all, instead fighting the pull.

This is when I try throwing the Tcase into neutral as well and realize that the shift lever for the Tcase is utterly and completely stuck (in High). So we disconnect the rotoflex and this allows us to get the truck up.

I think (and hope) that The Transfer case seized and ripped itself up and that that is the extent of the damage done. I last checked the fluid on the trans, and diffs about 6 months ago but I neglected the Tcase sadly... I imagine it just got too dry and burnt up over driving for a straight 15 hours... What I'm worried about is whether that damage when the tcase failed could have extended to the transmission or the front and rear diffs. What are your thoughts on that? And how may I go about further investigating it since the truck is sitting in the parking lot here until i can take it to the shop tomorrow.

Meanwhile i am stranded at a days inn. I would love some help or ideas from you guys as I am not only totally stranded far from home, but am now missing work which starts monday... Boss is pretty understanding but this is a pretty rough situation.

Thanks yall!

I have an 03 D2 with 148k on the clock
I regularly service the front and rear driveshafts as well

Last edited by caroba; 07-08-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Where are you located right now?

There might be someone close by that is willing to help out.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Sounds possible that the tcase went where are you currently at?

Old 07-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

You mention that you service the front and rear drive shafts. Did you replace the font drive shaft u-joints with greasable units or is it the original driveshaft? If you never replaced, your front driveshaft may have exploded and taken out the tranny. May explain why the front wheels turned and the back wheels didn’t. Where are you located now?

Old 07-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Currently at a Days Inn between Sanders and Chambers, Arizona. Planning on biting the 45 mile toe to Gallup, NM though. There are a lot of junkyards there to look for parts, plus I can get a rental if need be. Yall are so kind!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by humroot
You mention that you service the front and rear drive shafts. Did you replace the font drive shaft u-joints with greasable units or is it the original driveshaft? If you never replaced, your front driveshaft may have exploded and taken out the tranny. May explain why the front wheels turned and the back wheels didn’t. Where are you located now?

I believe it is the original shaft but it must have been rebuilt by the previous owner as it does have greasable U-joints. I grease them as often as I change my oil, every 3k or so miles. The driveshafts appear to be in tact and fine. no visible damage when I climb under the truck - at least not to my eye

Old 07-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Sounds like something came apart in the transfercase...then... that something got lodge somewhere it shouldn't have. Probably didn't hurt the transmission. This could have happen regardless, but driving a 14 year old vehicle cross country...without checking every fluid level and driveline component is a serious mistake, in my opinion. Especially, in a non-stop type of endeavor.

Good luck and hopefully you find the pieces needed for repair and are on your way soon.

Brian.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Also check the differential on the axle that was dragging the wheel.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Sounds like it spun freely, once he removed the rotoflex. I'd assume, if the transfercase was toast and not able to get it in neutral...it would keep the rear end locked up, too. 03 doesn't have CDL, so front axle would be unhampered (unless something mechanical was dislodge in the nose cone or something) and probababy turn freely. But rear axle would be hampered by whatever happen to the transfercase.

Edit...actually, CDL wouldn't be a factor anyway.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 07-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Sounds like something came apart in the transfercase...then... that something got lodge somewhere it shouldn't have. Probably didn't hurt the transmission. This could have happen regardless, but driving a 14 year old vehicle cross country...without checking every fluid level and driveline component is a serious mistake, in my opinion. Especially, in a non-stop type of endeavor.

Good luck and hopefully you find the pieces needed for repair and are on your way soon.

Brian.
You're definitely right on that one. I have done a lot of work recently to the vehicle but i really neglected some important issues and am paying the price. Hopefully this lesson won't hurt too bad..

Quick Reply: Catastrophic drivetrain failure - Stranded- need tips