Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catastrophic drivetrain failure - Stranded- need tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Yeah, you live, you learn...or you don't and we give you an ear full next time this happens...lol.

Took my 01 to southern Ohio last weekend, 750 round trip. Other mechanic at work said, you should have no problem...you've been driving it to work for the last year. I'm like...there's a big difference between driving 35 miles, vehicle cools down at work, driving 35 miles, vehicle cools down at home, etc...than driving 300 plus miles straight through. Bearings, bushing, etc feel the pain of constant heat and movement much more under long drive time conditions. Heck, the engine oil/filter had a few hundred miles on it...but l replaced it with new before leaving. New oils are cheap insurance...and the old girl made it with flying colors.

Brian.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yeah if the TC runs dry = she'll internally die. Sounds like what happened sadly. You can find a TC usually for around 150-250.00.

I picked up an 03 D2 for 500.00 due to the TC dying in the exact same fashion. When I removed it all I got out of it was a single drop of very very nasty burnt gear oil.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

Don't beat yourself up too hard, it is a 14 year old truck, stuff will fail even if you do all the maintenance.

All you can for now is determine what failed and get yourself to where you need to be.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Engines do much better cruising along vs stop n go though. Also the temp eventually evens out vs stop/start where the metal expands/contracts due to fluctuating temps. Biggest wear on an engine is upon startup though.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Don't beat yourself up too hard, it is a 14 year old truck, stuff will fail even if you do all the maintenance.

All you can for now is determine what failed and get yourself to where you need to be.

Stuff on new cars falls apart just as fast if not faster depending on the make/model!

Old 07-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Stuff on new cars falls apart just as fast if not faster depending on the make/model!
Yup they sure do, had to give a couple a lift into the nearest town a couple of years ago, the oil pump on a year old Dodge pickup died. They were ways up an FSR, good thing it was one that is fairly well traveled, someone would have come along to give them a hand

Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Wrong section of the south otherwise I would have a transfer case you could have for cheap.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'm like...there's a big difference between driving 35 miles, vehicle cools down at work, driving 35 miles, vehicle cools down at home, etc...than driving 300 plus miles straight through. Bearings, bushing, etc feel the pain of constant heat and movement much more under long drive time conditions.
Brian.
Yeah this is exactly what I realized soon after my undercarriage tore up... This is the second year I've made this trek and the Rover performed the first round trip just fine. I have a scangauge and watch it pretty religiously while making long hauls, basically just adjusting my driving to keep the engine temp within a healthy working zone. I was so focused on that parameter that I didn't even think about the drivetrain and transmission.. They need to cool down too and I don't have any temp sensors for them. I'm shocked that doing 10-15 hour straight drives in the Southwestern summer didn't get me sooner...

Needless to say, I've gained a new respect for the machine as a whole. I still love my truck to death. As for an update, I just got towed into Gallup and set up with a hotel. My tow driver recommended a local place here that specializes in transmissions which is great. I'm gonna have the truck taken there tomorrow when they open. I'm guessing theyll wanna rebuild my tcase, but since I have an 03 I was planning on swapping in a Tcase with the CDL linkage. So I guess I'll start looking for those on ebay and shipping time will probably dictate how long I stay stranded. But I figured the transmission shop would know how to check the health of my other drive train components which I'm now a bit concerned for.

I've owned the truck for about 2 years and my previously nonexistent mechanical aptitude has really skyrocketed but I'm still learning (clearly..) so I kinda want a shop to take a look for me on this one.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh also, Is there a better place to look for Tcases than Ebay in terms of online shopping? There are some junkyards around here as well. Might be worth asking if they have any d2s lying around

Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

check flagstaff, Arizona craigslist for auto parts

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/p...627635986.html

Quick Reply: Catastrophic drivetrain failure - Stranded- need tips