Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caulking the lower windshield cowl to seal it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Caulking the lower windshield cowl to seal it?

I had my windshield replaced last year and the MFkrs broke both side trim pieces which wasn't covered under my insurance. I was able to get them back in place and held with some black silicone and they are still on the car.

Recently after some heavy rain I began to notice my glove box contents are wet, and sometimes a puddle on the rubber mat on the passenger side. I found a 3/4 inch small crack in the exterior windshield lower plenum/cowl just above the glove box and read up here about how that can cause water to get into the fresh air intake under it. I am supsecting Dumb and Dumber, the windshield techs that worked on my car also cracked this part and did not get it back in place as I can wiggle it a bit!

My crack is very small and I am thinking my leak may come from the rubber seal along the edge of the cowl which has a millimeter or 2 gap between it and the glass. Not wanting to shell out big bucks for yet another inferior LR plastic replacement part I am thinking of running a bead of silicone just under the rubber seal. Or if I do remove the cowl I wonder if I couldn't rig some kind of cover over the air opening that would let air in but deflect water. Why the heck would anyone design an air intake that faces the sky??? For a car designed and built in a country where it always rains they sure weren't thinking!

Attached is a shot of the gap near the far edge of the glass.

Yes, I know a bead of silicone might look a bit unprofessional but my car ceased to be a showroom quality vehicle when it got all scratched up out on the trail!

Attached Thumbnails Caulking the lower windshield cowl to seal it?-2.jpg