Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL and Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL and Headliner

I am asking this CDL question after sifting through numerous threads. I have a 2001 D2 with 75k on it, I am in the process of conducting extensive regular maintenance and taking care of a lot of neglect. (pre my purchase at 65k) After that suspension drive shafts lockers bumpers blah blah etc.

I was wondering if there is an advantage on spending 450+ dollars on an aftermarket CDL shifter kit or, if it is in good working order, a CDL shifter out of a D1 is as good or better? Certainly can be found cheaper. I like how the Rover shifter uses linkage vs. what appears to be cable on the aftermarket ones. Also any difference in difficulty of installation?

Just finished tranny filter and service, brake master cylinder- went ahead and put extended lines on, about to change the cracked radiator. While it's out I will be doing all hoses, belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pump. Also have very leaky valve covers so I am doing those gaskets and plugs and wires while they are easy to access. Changed out 3 of my 4 door lock... that was a top notch design...

Does anyone know of a good shop near the Austin TX area for headliner replacement. I know they sag but mine is bad. The previous owner let some real morons instal a DVD player and screen. The DVD was screwed to the overhead console and the screen was drilled into the headliner with 2 inch wood screws. It took me a few hours to unwire it and pull out the dozens of yards of wire and RCA cable. Wish I could find that shop.

Thanks for your time any help will be great.

Last edited by J-redrover; 02-15-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Overlanding

So no one has an opinion on which CDL, Lucky8 or Rover? Or did I break some posting rule? I am new here.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you certain your rover has a CDL? only half of 2001s do.

Last edited by NiteTrain; 02-16-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the Lucky 8 CDL kit, it is a simple piece of equipment and not to hard to install. I high recommend the Lucky 8 kit, you cant really go wrong with it IMO. You will love the results no matter what you with though! If you dont have the CDL nipple on your t-case, your going to have to buy alot more than just the linkage and shifter, but sure to check into that for you 2001.

IDK about headline replacement in TX, so someone else will have to chime in about that.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Lucky8 kit!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J-redrover
I am asking this CDL question after sifting through numerous threads. I have a 2001 D2 with 75k on it, I am in the process of conducting extensive regular maintenance and taking care of a lot of neglect. (pre my purchase at 65k) After that suspension drive shafts lockers bumpers blah blah etc.

I was wondering if there is an advantage on spending 450+ dollars on an aftermarket CDL shifter kit or, if it is in good working order, a CDL shifter out of a D1 is as good or better? Certainly can be found cheaper. I like how the Rover shifter uses linkage vs. what appears to be cable on the aftermarket ones. Also any difference in difficulty of installation?

Just finished tranny filter and service, brake master cylinder- went ahead and put extended lines on, about to change the cracked radiator. While it's out I will be doing all hoses, belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pump. Also have very leaky valve covers so I am doing those gaskets and plugs and wires while they are easy to access. Changed out 3 of my 4 door lock... that was a top notch design...

Does anyone know of a good shop near the Austin TX area for headliner replacement. I know they sag but mine is bad. The previous owner let some real morons instal a DVD player and screen. The DVD was screwed to the overhead console and the screen was drilled into the headliner with 2 inch wood screws. It took me a few hours to unwire it and pull out the dozens of yards of wire and RCA cable. Wish I could find that shop.

Thanks for your time any help will be great.
agreed check the transfer case before you start taking the trim out. also for the headliner do it yourself. i did a write up in the how to section. while you have the headliner out clean and check your sunroof drain tubes and run any wiring you might want for roof rack or rear lamp lighting.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Overlanding
Default Thanks for the replies

Is there an easy way to check the T-case a part number, identifying part or something- or certain vin #? So lucky8 has been recommended but if I have the proper T-case a D1 shifter will suffice? I don't know about doing the headliner myself... anything mechanical I can do or figure out how to do, but interior stuff I'm a little rough on and want it to look nice and tight. Oh and lucky for me no sunroofs. (in my opinion less to break)

Thanks for the answers guys,

Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J-redrover
Is there an easy way to check the T-case a part number, identifying part or something- or certain vin #? So lucky8 has been recommended but if I have the proper T-case a D1 shifter will suffice? I don't know about doing the headliner myself... anything mechanical I can do or figure out how to do, but interior stuff I'm a little rough on and want it to look nice and tight. Oh and lucky for me no sunroofs. (in my opinion less to break)

Thanks for the answers guys,

you can climb under the truck and feel the top of the transfer case or you can check out the youtube video by lucky8 shows you how to pull the center console to access the top of the t-case. as for not having sunroofs that makes it even easier to pull the headliner out and paint it. no more saggy fabric ever!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I found the complete D1 shifter on eBay for $100 and installed that. Works great and really makes a huge difference off-road.

Are you guys referring to the $428 kit from Lucky8LLC? I have no experience with that linkage, but that is a lot of money for a shifter. What dos it offer over the D1 linkage?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The lockable capability went away mid-01. Feel on the top of the case for the nipple. I am pretty sure that trucks with MFG dates prior to 2-01 can be locked. I can't remember the date....

A D1 shifter will work just fine if you can find one complete. You don't get a fancy sticker, though...

Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by humroot
I found the complete D1 shifter on eBay for $100 and installed that. Works great and really makes a huge difference off-road.

Are you guys referring to the $428 kit from Lucky8LLC? I have no experience with that linkage, but that is a lot of money for a shifter. What dos it offer over the D1 linkage?
I couldnt find a DI shifter for the life of me when I was looking, but my mechanic who helped me install it thought the DI shifter would be a little more difficult to install. He also thought the linkage from the Lucky8 one was a better option because it was a little simpler to work with. Honestly, I dont think it really matters, but like I said, when I was looking to buy, it was the only option. Plus the lucky8 version was about 50 bucks cheaper if I remember correctly, they've upped the price a bit.

If you can find a quality used shifter, by all means get it. They all accomplish the same goal! But if you want a quality shiny new one, lucky8 is your answer!

Quick Reply: CDL and Headliner