Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL and Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
The lockable capability went away mid-01. Feel on the top of the case for the nipple. I am pretty sure that trucks with MFG dates prior to 2-01 can be locked. I can't remember the date....

A D1 shifter will work just fine if you can find one complete. You don't get a fancy sticker, though...
Thank you all for the input. It was manufactured 04/01... Hope I am not in for the big expense. I felt around the linkage and all around the top of the t-case. I am not sure what I am feeling for so I'm still not sure. Already watched the video and if I have time I am going to tear it apart tomorrow in hopes of finding that greasy nipple.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J-redrover
I felt around the linkage and all around...in hopes of finding that greasy nipple.
HEHEHEHEHEHE...he said he felt all around for that greasy nipple...HEHEHEHEHEHEHE...sorry...I could not help myself...this reminds me...where the hell is sloppy joe?

He would be proud that Spike is now a moderator...and that redrover felt up his rover!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a pic of the nipple location..the tab and nut are not on it from the factory...its just a threaded stud.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Overlanding

That picture should be a big help and man that looks really clean. Is something wrong with it? lol. I am going to wait for the sun to come up and give finding it another go.

Here is another install link. http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html

Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Overlanding

Thank you all. I have not been this excited to find a nipple in years! Manufacture date 04/01. It is an SE with no options such as TC so maybe that is a contributing factor. Man what a relief. I think I will go with a Rover shifter out of a D1 found one for about 150.
As for the headliner I need to check out the instructional but am still leaning toward a pro install if I can find a decent shop.

Thanks again,

Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can also buy a level for like $40 but you have to get out of the vehicle to use it. That's probably what i'm going to do. You don't engage it that often and no way am I paying $400 for a shifter..also I do not want to tear into my console..I would probably end up breaking half those plastic pieces.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by J-redrover
Thank you all. I have not been this excited to find a nipple in years! Manufacture date 04/01. It is an SE with no options such as TC so maybe that is a contributing factor. Man what a relief. I think I will go with a Rover shifter out of a D1 found one for about 150.
As for the headliner I need to check out the instructional but am still leaning toward a pro install if I can find a decent shop.

Thanks again,
If you have a garage, shame on you... Took me 2 hours total and about $200. Of course, I started with nothing. I had to buy a backer at a salvage, along with the finishers and ended up doing it 2 times because the bars that the little clips push into were gone as well. Had to go back and get them.

It isn't too bad getting it out. The worst thing is cleaning all of the old foam off. All you have to do is spray the backer and the back of the new fabric. Stretch and press, and you are done. Make sure to get 60" wide material and 2 cans of the 3M (super77??) adhesive. Not a tough job, but you will have that sense of accomplishment. (and you can show people how cool you are).

Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Overlanding

Does anyone know of a good shop near the Austin TX area for headliner replacement. I know they sag but mine is bad. The previous owner let some real morons instal a DVD player and screen. The DVD was screwed to the overhead console and the screen was drilled into the headliner with 2 inch wood screws. It took me a few hours to unwire it and pull out the dozens of yards of wire and RCA cable. Wish I could find that shop.

Thanks for your time any help will be great.[/QUOTE]

The problem I am having is finding the headliner 'board', I would call it insulation, but either way mine is trash. As you can read above it was heavily...modified... There are large holes in it from the TV screens and sheet rock screws. I cannot seem to find a replacement anywhere just the fabric covering. The level of quality people get when they take their vehicles to PROFESSIONALS never ceases to amaze me.

Picked up a D1 CDL can't wait for it to get here and put it on.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Overlanding

Oh and okdiscoguy I grew up in tulsa, lived there till 2000. And no I don't have a garage. They got fussy with me for changing the transmission filter in the parking lot. That is why the radiator and front end are going to wait till I am in Tulsa/Kansas city next month where I will have a garage.

Last edited by J-redrover; 02-17-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was just ribbing you... Call upholstery shops and get quotes. Should be able to have it done for around $200..

If you are in Tulsa and need a hand, hit me up.