Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL was not locking, grinding on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CDL was not locking, grinding on freeway

Was driving on freeway yesterday and CDL amber light came on. Pulled back on lever, and it turned off. Went where I was going and headed back home. Driving on freeway again, light came on again with loud grinding and whining siren type noise coming from below center console. Low gear on CDL is locked and truck hops. High functions with loud noise. Truck did not lock up, transmission shifts normally, but trying to isolate whether it is the transfer box of front differential? Any clues my wise and all knowing friends?

Old 02-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Frtpilot
Was driving on freeway yesterday and CDL amber light came on. Pulled back on lever, and it turned off. Went where I was going and headed back home. Driving on freeway again, light came on again with loud grinding and whining siren type noise coming from below center console. Low gear on CDL is locked and truck hops. High functions with loud noise. Truck did not lock up, transmission shifts normally, but trying to isolate whether it is the transfer box of front differential? Any clues my wise and all knowing friends?
Sorry guys, 2003 Disco SE 119K miles

Old 02-06-2019, 12:27 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

A 2003 Disco does not come from the factory with CDL. Did your Disco get outfitted later on with CDL?

Old 02-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

CDL moves side to side so Up/Down = 4Hi/N/4Lo operation.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by acg
A 2003 Disco does not come from the factory with CDL. Did your Disco get outfitted later on with CDL?
CDL is the shifter in font of drive shifter, correct? If so, then it came from factory.

I understand how mine functions. Place tranny in neutral, move lever forward thru neutral to low, and reverse the procedure for high.
The problem occurred while driving, and front lever was slipping towards low. I could feel a clicking thru shift lever. Probably a bad solenoid, but now I’m trying to figure out what is trashed...the transfer box or the front differential (or both)?

Last edited by Frtpilot; 02-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

All have hi/n/low shifters. The shifter will only go back and foward for Hi/neutral/low from factory. It also goes left/right to lock the center diff if someone added it. No 03's came with it from the factory.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by wjsj69
All have hi/n/low shifters. The shifter will only go back and foward for Hi/neutral/low from factory. It also goes left/right to lock the center diff if someone added it. No 03's came with it from the factory.
Okay, the Hi/Low shifter I believe it was the transfer case light (amber) that went on with the chime before the noises started.

Last edited by Frtpilot; 02-06-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

the cdl neutral warning light on the dash will come on in an '03 disco when the t-case is shifted into the neutral position. (gear wheels with an x over them.) i believe this light is orange.
the cdl UNLOCKED warning light on the dash should not come on in an '03 disco unless it has had a lockable t-case installed. this light is the red "tie fighter."

Old 02-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I would say there's a good chance the transfer case may be trashed. I have no personal experience driving in Low more than a handful of times at low speeds (traversing soft ground for a couple hundred feet), however this is taken from the owners manual"

Low range (‘L’)Low range should be used ONLY in situations where low speed manoeuvering is necessary, such as reversing a trailer or negotiating a boulder-strewn river bed. Also use low range for more extreme off-road conditions where progress in high range cannot be maintained. DO NOT attempt to use LOW range gears for normal road driving.

Hopefully others can offer some additional real world experience using Low range.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

From what you've described, sounds like the t-case has failed. Either have someone who knows Rovers check it, or start the removal process so you can disassemble and see what's going on in there. Great time to get a case with CDL function if you'll use it. If not you can get a non-CDL cheaper or rebuild yours.

Quick Reply: CDL was not locking, grinding on freeway