Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL was not locking, grinding on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
the cdl neutral warning light on the dash will come on in an '03 disco when the t-case is shifted into the neutral position. (gear wheels with an x over them.) i believe this light is orange.
the cdl UNLOCKED warning light on the dash should not come on in an '03 disco unless it has had a lockable t-case installed. this light is the red "tie fighter."
The light that came on showed an amber (or orange) light With the X over the gear wheels. Accompanied by chimes. Since I was at freeway speed, what came after the chimes was a grinding and whining sound that didn’t let up. The front drive shaft did not fail, but there was a terrible grinding under the center. The hi/low lever was never actuated.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ahab
I would say there's a good chance the transfer case may be trashed. I have no personal experience driving in Low more than a handful of times at low speeds (traversing soft ground for a couple hundred feet), however this is taken from the owners manual"

Low range (‘L’)Low range should be used ONLY in situations where low speed manoeuvering is necessary, such as reversing a trailer or negotiating a boulder-strewn river bed. Also use low range for more extreme off-road conditions where progress in high range cannot be maintained. DO NOT attempt to use LOW range gears for normal road driving.

Hopefully others can offer some additional real world experience using Low range.
i do not use low range for highway, but thx. Evidently there was a failure in the locking solenoid that caused the hi low to fail and move forward.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by wjsj69
From what you've described, sounds like the t-case has failed. Either have someone who knows Rovers check it, or start the removal process so you can disassemble and see what's going on in there. Great time to get a case with CDL function if you'll use it. If not you can get a non-CDL cheaper or rebuild yours.
i rebuild my engine in my sleep lol...just spent a couple of years bringing my rover back to like new condition. I guess it’s like they say...”if it isn’t broken, it’s not a Rover”!
i guess it’s time to brush up on the transfer case, lol

Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Frtpilot
i do not use low range for highway, but thx. Evidently there was a failure in the locking solenoid that caused the hi low to fail and move forward.
Got it, sorry. Possibly something in the transfer case failed and caused the lever to move on its own. Good luck getting it sorted.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Whenever you have the TC N warning come on at speed you should technically put the transmission into N as well and coast to a stop to prevent any damage then pull the 4WD shifter fully back & then place the transmission into D & see if it moves & the amber TC N warning light goes out. From the sound of it the TC sounds low or out of fluid, and possibly burnt up. The linkage is a cable and it “could” be binding, but the noise you decribed sounds like it’s internally trashed.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ahab
Got it, sorry. Possibly something in the transfer case failed and caused the lever to move on its own. Good luck getting it sorted.
Its okay...There was some malfunction somewhere, because the hi low lever was never moved by a human, and all that was required to deactivate the chime on first occurrence was a slight pulling pressure on the hi low shifter. The second occurrence was catastrophic.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Whenever you have the TC N warning come on at speed you should technically put the transmission into N as well and coast to a stop to prevent any damage then pull the 4WD shifter fully back & then place the transmission into D & see if it moves & the amber TC N warning light goes out. From the sound of it the TC sounds low or out of fluid, and possibly burnt up. The linkage is a cable and it “could” be binding, but the noise you decribed sounds like it’s internally trashed.
yes, I’m thinking transfer case as well. I did pull over on the first occurrence as you stated, but the 2nd occurrence happened so fast nothing could be done.about it....

Old 02-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

TC’s on RRC/D90/D1/D2’s all seep and a lot of them never get checked regularly & then when they get low they run hot & bearings, gears don’t react well to that. I’ve replaced several customer TC’s that were burnt to a crisp inside due to no lubrication.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Transfer cases with CDL, if so desired, are cheap on ebay. I've been looking at them and around $200 is typical.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
TC’s on RRC/D90/D1/D2’s all seep and a lot of them never get checked regularly & then when they get low they run hot & bearings, gears don’t react well to that. I’ve replaced several customer TC’s that were burnt to a crisp inside due to no lubrication.
had fluid...guess it was a fluke?

Quick Reply: CDL was not locking, grinding on freeway