Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL What is this!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL What is this!?!

Hi everyone!!
So When I got my Disco the CDL would not engage.

After reading many a thread for multiple nights I have located where it is under the truck.

I have sprayed the linkage on the under body every other day for the past week with PB B'laster and have loosen the H-N-L . However I am unable to shift to the left into "lock H-N-L" from any position in the right.

I have located the locking linkage atop of the transmission today (1/29) and have done my best to spray that as well. Hopefully it will loosen up and I will be able to use the lockers.

Any other suggestions or comments or am I on the right path here.

Also what is the pin sticking out in the pictures below? What is it for?

Linkage under the truck in H-N-L position.

N position

L position<br/>

Last edited by mpavao; 01-29-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling

That pin is the shift solenoid, it is what keeps its from "accidentally" shifting the CDL. It is supposed to retract when you put the drive shifter into neutral. I had the same issue with mine when i got my '04 disco 2. I had to remove the center console, drill out all the rivets on the shifter plate, in order to access the CDL linkage. I completely removed the solenoid from my CDL and have not had any issues with it "accidentally" shifting on its own.

Its not a hard job. only took me about 2 hours tops.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by jringeno
That pin is the shift solenoid, it is what keeps its from "accidentally" shifting the CDL. It is supposed to retract when you put the drive shifter into neutral. I had the same issue with mine when i got my '04 disco 2. I had to remove the center console, drill out all the rivets on the shifter plate, in order to access the CDL linkage. I completely removed the solenoid from my CDL and have not had any issues with it "accidentally" shifting on its own.

Its not a hard job. only took me about 2 hours tops.
Ya'll have to stop referring to the interlock solenoid and CDL. They have nothing at all to do with each other. If you're stuck in 4hi, and can't shift into N/4lo then your interlock solenoid is faulty.

CDL (Center Diff Lock) DOES NOT have any kind of interlock solenoid. You simply pull the lever left or right to enage/disengage the CDL.

Just wanted to clear that up as there has been a lot of post about the 4hi/N/4lo interlock solenoid but referring to it as CDL interlock solenoid (which CDL DOES NOT HAVE).

Cheers

Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 AM
Drifting

Thank you gentleman. From what you can see in the photos, does it look like the interlock solenoid id retracting?

Have you heard of people being able to release a stuck CDL from under the truck or am I going to be forced into pulling out the center console and go from the top?

Thanks for the insight!

Old 01-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mpavao
Thank you gentleman. From what you can see in the photos, does it look like the interlock solenoid id retracting?

Have you heard of people being able to release a stuck CDL from under the truck or am I going to be forced into pulling out the center console and go from the top?

Thanks for the insight!
Yes, it is accessible from under truck. 10mm wrench, quarter turn, not difficult once you get your hand on it.