Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centre Locking Diff

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:32 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Centre Locking Diff

So, can anyone tell me what I need to add centre locking to my 2003 Discovery?

I'm also looking at either adding positrac or air-lockers. Positrac differentials sound like they'll do for most of what I might consider doing as well as helping all the time not only at low speed when locked... opinions?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Centre Locking Diff

First of all, what you are wanting to do can be done but boy it is expensive.
The least expensive way to do this is to buy a used t/case out of a 99,00,01 that currently has all the parts. Install it in place of your t/case then sell yours.
You will need a way to hook to an actuator to engage the CDL when needed, you can buy an electric solonoid set up like I did or buy a 04 linkage set up from a new Disco.
That is the down side of it, the up side of it is all the extra traction you will have and now the ability to add a Detroit, TT or Arb lockers.
If you want to PM me, send me your telephone number, I'll call you I can go into lots more detail.
I have done this already, if you take your time, find the parts, keep the labor down and sell your old t/case, it won't cost you tons of $$.
Mike

Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of driving do you plan on doing? Why do you think you need a locker? Lockers are usually used when you are doing some heavy four-wheeling. I have an ARB in my '79 Jeep CJ (which I use when I hit Moab or other difficult 4x4 trails). I rarely need to engage it. For my Disco, I have never needed it. If you want to do the type of four wheeling that requires a Locker, you may consider investing in a different vehicle. Also, if you add a locker, you need to see if one is offerred for your axle and if your axle can handle the extra torque.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
ajh
Winching

That's exactly what I'm wondering. My main issue is crossing snow covered trails and coming up to buried obstacles. I had this problem with my pathfinder (1997) where I couldn't get power to the relevant wheels to make it over the obstacle. This is one reason why I'm considering a positrac type conversion such as Tractech Truetrac differentials rather than a full lockers but having a centre-lock would still be an advantage when things got nasty right?

Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Don't waist your money on any diff locks unless you change out the t/case, lockers won't work with an open centediff, t/case.
If you want to get some help with this, PM me with your telephone number and I'll be glad to call you and walk you thru what you are going to need to do.
Mike

Old 09-06-2006, 10:25 AM
ajh
Winching

Thanks for the offer of the phonecall mike, not keen on phones really though but when it gets closer to doing the work I may take you up on that. From the reading I did last night it looks like adding a Truetrac in front would be helpful to general handling and then once a CLD is installed adding a full locker like the Detroit to the rear. If I was rock crawling I can see a full set of air-lockers but that's really not my thing. Of course I'm open to ideas between now and actually doing the work I'm sure I need some kind of HD upgrade though if I go ahread with putting a bit of HP into the engine.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

It is obvious you either didn't read my post to you or you didn't believe me. You can spend all the money you want and get little or no extra traction until you replace the t/case the one with CDL. Not haveing CDL means that the ETC will still direct the power to the wheel it wants to and your TT will be worthless.
You may not like phones but you might want to talk to me or another person knowledgiable with this system, but then it is your money to spend wisely or waist.
Mike

Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi ajh,

Yes you need the center diff lock if you run axle lockers. TrueTrac is just a brand name like Posi-Trac and TracLoc for a limited slip diff. This type of locker will not lock up, but will work OK for snow and such (but not good on ice). If you are going thru all the effort (and cost) to replace your axle diffs, you should go with a true locker. Plus you DO NOT want a limited slip in the front if you do not have unlocking hubs. Detroit lockers are OK, but really for offroading (not overly on road friendly). And, for your Disco (non-unlocking hubs) you do not want a Detroit type locker in your front end. Franklyl, I would avoid this type of locker in your Disco. ARB (air lockers) are the best way to go (front and back). I believe there is a new electric locker on the market (can't remember off hand who makes it; Maybe Alburn?). Ox makes a cable actuated locker, but not sure if any of these lockers have one for your axes. Again, you want an unlockable locker for your Disco.

Budget ~$800 per locker (unlocking type) and ~$400 per locker for installation. If you go with an air locker, you'll need a compressor and tank. The ARB compressor is OK, but if you are going to the expense to install a compressor, you might as well get a good one so you can air up tires (or run air tools). Budget around $400 for the compressor. I have a Viair compressor and custom tank.

As you can see, all this not cheap. My Disco I does just fine on snow and ice. My CJ with Air lockers (and locked center diff) is not as good on snow. Feel free to e-mail me (or Disco Mike) for more info.

Tim

Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: hoberock

Hi ajh,

Yes you need the center diff lock if you run axle lockers. TrueTrac is just a brand name like Posi-Trac and TracLoc for a limited slip diff. This type of locker will not lock up, but will work OK for snow and such (but not good on ice). If you are going thru all the effort (and cost) to replace your axle diffs, you should go with a true locker. Plus you DO NOT want a limited slip in the front if you do not have unlocking hubs. Detroit lockers are OK, but really for offroading (not overly on road friendly). And, for your Disco (non-unlocking hubs) you do not want a Detroit type locker in your front end. Franklyl, I would avoid this type of locker in your Disco. ARB (air lockers) are the best way to go (front and back). I believe there is a new electric locker on the market (can't remember off hand who makes it; Maybe Alburn?). Ox makes a cable actuated locker, but not sure if any of these lockers have one for your axes. Again, you want an unlockable locker for your Disco.

Budget ~$800 per locker (unlocking type) and ~$400 per locker for installation. If you go with an air locker, you'll need a compressor and tank. The ARB compressor is OK, but if you are going to the expense to install a compressor, you might as well get a good one so you can air up tires (or run air tools). Budget around $400 for the compressor. I have a Viair compressor and custom tank.

As you can see, all this not cheap. My Disco I does just fine on snow and ice. My CJ with Air lockers (and locked center diff) is not as good on snow. Feel free to e-mail me (or Disco Mike) for more info.

Tim
Tim,
I believe your knowledge of diffs may need a little up dating.
There is no need to have unlocking hubs on a Disco if you are running a TT, it is a fully geared partial locker that when locked wiill do all a Detroit will do plus alow you the ability to turn while climbing and working thru an obstical such as large rocks. A TT takes apx. 2 full revolutions of the tire before it will lock at which time you have all the traction you'll need. A detroit, made by the same company, can only be installed in the back diff of any vehicle because it is always locked, as apposed to an ARB or some of the other lockers that you have to engage. Detroits are road friendly, no noise and no tire twisting even when doing figure 8's out on the street.. Yes, there is an electric locker made by the same company that makes the Detroit but is is not desined or built to fit on a Rover at this time.
I have a number of friend with ARB's and a number of Disco with either a Detroit/ TT combination or a TT/TT combination, they all work well. I am not keen on all the problems ARB's have specifically the air system and the need to lock and unlock as you are wheeling. I have found on trail runs with different Rover clubs in Colorado and California that I can run nose to nose with a set of Arb's using my Detroit /TT and get thru the rocks quicker and with less effort.
I guess what I am trying to say is, it is like Fords and Chevys, we all have out preferences, both of which work really well depending on our requirements.
Take care and come to Colorado sometime for some good trails.
Mike

Old 09-07-2006, 02:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mike, When I installed my ARBs, TT was not out. When I use my lockers, I usually just leave it on while I am off pavement. A few guys I wheel with have the older detroit locker and it is not pavement friendly. I haven't run across anyone with the TT, so I appreciate your comments on it. I'll probably never install a locker on my Disco though..

While we are on the subject, what size tires are you running and how much lift do you have? Any rubbing issues? I have a 2" lift with 31" tires and have some rubbing on the back. I am considering adding flares and doing some mild trimming.. Thoughts?

Tim

PS Where are you in Co? Anywhere near Engineers Pass?

Quick Reply: Centre Locking Diff