Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap and Easy: Mods for under $200 you can do yourself in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap and Easy: Mods for under $200 you can do yourself in the garage

Title says it all, anything goes. And yes, this is an attempt at trying to keep people from leaving for other forums

I'll start with something that's not too obvious, but definitely a necessity, a CB Radio! You can pick a good one up with the antenna and mic for less than $100 no problem. It's the first mod I put on my Disco, and I recommend that everyone that hits the trails, even if not too often get one. Heck, even if you don't ride the trails, it's great to have.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can do the "hood blackout" deal for cheap... couple rolls of tape and some black paint... not really a mod for those who would freak out if they messed up their paint though... i'm probably gonna redo mine shortly because the original paint is starting to wear through...

Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Depends what sort of wheeling you are planning on doing. Most mods., no mater if it is for a Disco or a Jeep are not cheap.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol you could always "clearance" your fenders for cheap

Old 04-07-2009, 03:43 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sway bar disconnects are a cheap, easy project.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Lights are my favorite cheap mods. You can get a set of driving lights or fog lights for cheap at any auto parts store. My fog lights I just put on were $25 for the set.

If you just want to upgrade your existing headlights you can get HID kits for well under $200 from any number of suppliers. I have found a guy here in Denver that sells HID kits for $139. HID upgrades make a huge difference in the amount of light out in front of you.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled my front sway bar 3mos. ago, can't tell any difference on the road or corners.
(better articulation)
At the same time I pulled my front air dam off as a snowbank attacked me this winter
(Fogs went to the bumper 2yrs. ago)(better approach angle, although that never stopped me, obviously)

Electric fans <$75 instead of replacing bad viscous brg. (better jump off idle)

luck,greg

Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Front brush guard with Hella 500's - $200 Craigslist
Factory switch with relay - $7 E-bay
Homelink control even though I can't fit in the garage -$16 E-bay
Different Grill - $27.50 Pep Boys
Black headliner - $120 including new material, adhesive and backer board. Nothing there when I bought it. Drove to Chicago and had to pour water on the passengers because they licked the roof.

Lots of stuff to do cheaply.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a deeper and slightly louder sound from your disco, cut off the resonator. I sawed mine off in 5 mins and placed a generic tip to turn it down and out so the exhaust would get out from under the truck. This is NOT going to give you one of those obnoxious redneck sounds, just a nice mellow idle that stands out from others, especially off road. Simple and easy, cost me $5 bucks since i already had the sawzall.

Here's a Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtdNJtjKiFI

Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
Title says it all, anything goes. And yes, this is an attempt at trying to keep people from leaving for other forums

I'll start with something that's not too obvious, but definitely a necessity, a CB Radio! You can pick a good one up with the antenna and mic for less than $100 no problem. It's the first mod I put on my Disco, and I recommend that everyone that hits the trails, even if not too often get one. Heck, even if you don't ride the trails, it's great to have.
I have always wondered how do you us a CB like lets say you break down what do you do? Go to chanel 18 and that's the tow truck Chanel er what or is it more like can any one hear me I need help help me? LOL

Quick Reply: Cheap and Easy: Mods for under $200 you can do yourself in the garage