Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...

before & AFTER:

Attached Thumbnails Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...-p1010290.jpg   Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...-p1010301.jpg   Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...-p1010294.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad, good to see you kept the center of gravity as low as possible.

I'd be interested to see detailed pics on how you trimmed the fenders.

Did you also use wheel spacers?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, how much did you have to trim? what is the exact size of those tires (they look a little smaller than 33")?

also, you might want to check local laws. Around here it's illegal to have wheels that stick out past fenders. It's one of those laws they rarely pull you over for but if you get pulled over for something else its something they can tack on to your fine.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Boy, I have seen bad trim jobs, but why would you want to hack it up knowing you still can't take it off road without stuffing your tires? You also are left with a set of warn out coils and shocks, neither of which work on or off road for most people who want the most from their ride.
Exactly what size tire did you install?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just wonder why? If it makes you happy, good for you. I couldn't bring myself to hack my truck like that...

Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Boy, I have seen bad trim jobs, but why would you want to hack it up knowing you still can't take it off road without stuffing your tires? You also are left with a set of warn out coils and shocks, neither of which work on or off road for most people who want the most from their ride.
I think the trim job looks pretty good, Mike. Not lifting the vehicle, adding larger tires and trimming the fenders not only keeps your center of gravity low, it also retains stock drivetrain and steering angles. You also get more clearance under the diffs. It certainly couldn't hurt to throw in new longer shocks to extend tire droop during articultion, however be careful with shock length as you don't want to grenade the shock during uptravel.

It appears that he trimmed just enough to be able to stuff those tires into the fenders during articulation. Are your sway bars still connected in the 3rd pic?

Most 33in tires end up measuring out to around a 32.4in or so. I guess they look smaller since they're on......(are those 17's or 18's?)

Last edited by BajaXJ92; 03-22-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut up fenders, IMO, does not qualify as stock. I agree with keeping the center of gravity low but if that truck ever actually goes off road the lift would help prevent body damage from the tires being shoved into the fenders. It appears to me to be another street queen that wants to look like it goes off road.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that's different. I like it, thanks for the pics. Trimming looks good to me, I wonder if you could get some sort of aftermarket fender flares to dress it up some and maybe make it a little more road legal? So, no rubbing at all?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM
4wd Low

I think the trim job looks very well done I like the look I am curious how functional that really is.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Cut up fenders, IMO, does not qualify as stock. I agree with keeping the center of gravity low but if that truck ever actually goes off road the lift would help prevent body damage from the tires being shoved into the fenders. It appears to me to be another street queen that wants to look like it goes off road.
An easy, simple and cheap remedy to keeping the tires away from the fenders would be to extend the bumpstops.

On my old Jeep Cherokee, I picked up a few hockey pucks and epoxied them together, then bolted them to the coil purch on the axle. Worked great and kept the 33s from chewing up my fenders.

The point is, you don't HAVE to lift your truck to go offroad.

Quick Reply: Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...