Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your bottle jacks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Check your bottle jacks!

I noticed that my bottle jack wasn't working as expected, in so much that it took almost 20 pumps to move the piston an inch or so. Pretty indicative of a loss of hydraulic oil, so I refilled it, and before reinstalling it under the hood, decided to give it a quick test.

It went up just fine with the weight of the truck, but when I opened the release valve, just a hair like usual, everything came crashing down, fast. All the oil I'd just put in literally exploded from the base of the jack from around what looks like a seal.

Suffice to say, the jack is useless, and I urge everyone to check theirs. It's one of those things that we seldom use, and whose functionality we take for granted. If yours is devoid of oil, just throw it out.

Would hate to hear that someone got hurt or worse from a failed bottle jack as well.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I would recommend a hi-lift jack if you've got the mounting points...

Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea to check your spare tire pressure as well.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I would recommend a hi-lift jack if you've got the mounting points...
I don't, nor do have the garage clearance for a roof rack. I'm stuck with the lowly bottle jack.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one do that too, in the exact same spot. I ended up getting another one from someone in some trade, can't beat them for working on suspension components individually.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

If you have room in the rear loadspace you may want to carry a better jack. They don't take up too much room.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It is good to check on the bottle jack as well as spare tire pressure. regularly. I also have a Hi-lift, I store on the floor of the Back seat strapped down. If you do not alter your truck....i.e. lift, larger tires, etc... there is no need IMHO for a HI-LIFT. Plus HI_LIFT jacks are dangerous to use.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup.....my Land Rover bottle jack under the hood is a POS. Found this out the way most of us don't want to find out. Had a blowout on the freeway at 6:30 AM on the way to work one morning a few weeks ago. Had to call my brother and have him bring out a floor jack and breaker bar. Couldn't get two of the lugs to loosen up. Got it fixed, went to Auto Zone and got a 3-Ton bottle jack for $30.00, got me a great steel breaker bar, and now I'm set for the next misadventure. I also check the pressure in my spare once a month.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately I found out mine was shot when I first tried to use it in the garage. I had a "Husky" Home Depot special from a previous vehicle that fit right in its place under the hood. On a side note, the lug wrench that came with my truck wasn't even close to fitting the lug nuts. Something else to check before getting a flat on the side of the road.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the fact that it fits in the vehicle properly... My seal died and it dumped all the fluid recently.. Any way to rebuild it?

Quick Reply: Check your bottle jacks!