Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chipping Away at "Major Service" Bill

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Chipping Away at "Major Service" Bill

Chipping away at the Major Service Bill. Almost completed the entire suggested service procedures. All I have left is Power Steering Fluid swap and Brake Fluid Swap. Honestly, not too worried about these remaining items.

I switched back to Rotella T6 5-40 Syn from Rotella 15-40 (ran it for 1000miles). I had some nasty ticking at idle with the 15-40 that was not there (read as noticeable) with the 5-40. When I ran the 15-40; as soon as I would increase the oil pressure with throttle slightly raising the R's to 1100-1200 the tick would dissipate. I assumed it was an oil pressure/oil flow problem related to the heavier weight oil. Anyway, swapped out 15-40 to 5-40 and a new M1-301 and she's happy again.

The other two big ticket items were a coolant flush w/ new OEM T-Stat and exhaust manifold to pipe gaskets (located just in front of Catalytic Converters); both purchased from AB.

The T-Stat and coolant flush/fill was fairly simple and straight forward, I had no problems w/ air in the lines at all. I decided to pul the lower rad hose, then pull the other two top hoses off the T-stat. Then, got a garden hose stuck it into the top two hoses (alternating hoses) and flushed away until I saw clear water spewing out the bottom rad port. Filled her back up w/ Peak 50/50 and a full bottle of water wetter. I think it took one full gallon and litte over a half of another gallon of the Peak.

The exhaust gaskets were very simple. I was sure I was going to have to get out the air saw and get mid-evil on some bolts. I pre-soaked the hardware w/ PB Blaster then went to town. All six nuts came off and went back on w/ ease. Check out the difference between the old and new gaskets. F.Y.I. the truck currently has 146,200 miles. She is now SUPER quite - minus a slight tick/tap at idle