Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Chirping under the hood

Hi all, been following the forum for a few years now. After driving home to Los Angeles from Las Vegas, I noticed a chirping noise under the hood. Tomorrow I'mgonna get back my code reader from my kid to see what codes its throwing. Here's the low down on the truck. Last summer I had the 4.6 rebuilt because of 2 head gasket failures. So the block was checked and head gaskets done. New pistons , bearings, camshaft, top hat,oil pump, water pump, radiator, & new hoses. The rebuilt motor was installed late last summer at 132K, The new motor is now at 139k when the chirping started . Ive done the BEST4X4 PCV Mod, I ve done Option B, so no 3 amigos. The engine smells really hot, yet its not overheating, the chirp is really noticeable from 0 to 30 mph, and at idle sometimes. If I,'m on the fwy at 60 pr 65 mph, I dont hear the chirp. The motor runs fine. The oil has no coolant in it. Tomorrow I'm gonna get under the truck to check the water pump weep hole. Im thinking the water pump impeller blade is squealing or chirping ( the water pump is new) or the idler pulleys maybe? What do you guys think? I'll post the codes when I get my reader back. Any info I might be missing to post for your guys? All the help from most of the senior members here has helped me alot with basic mantainance. Ive saved a ton of money doing basic stuff myself. I'm an old aircraft mechanic, so I have some basic skills. Any help is always greatly appreciated from you guys, especially some of the senior members. Thanks guys for being the Rover guru gods. lol

Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Check the fan/serpentine belt if it's worn.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Spray water on the belt and see if the chirp goes away. If so it's your belt

Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

A cheap automotive stethoscope from auto parts. A lot of times this can help you hear which idoler pulley is going bad while truck is running
Ive had both (grooved & smooth) idol pulleys fail on me& they both have made a chirping noises

Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be able to troubleshoot it this evening. I'll report back soon...

Old 08-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

For the record, my daughter called me about a chirping and I told her not to worry about it.

A week later her fan blew up like a grenade and took out the radiator, ps line and reservoir, shroud and upper hose.

Fair warning

Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Mudding

Thanks ZUKE, faif warning noted. I poped the hood and checked the fan for any looseness or sloppyness, there was none. I fired the truck up and could hear a slight whine. It sounded like the idler pullys. The truck is not leaking any coolant. After about 20 min the chirping starts. I looked under the truck and did not see any coolant coming from the weep hole on the water pump. I'm gonna order the idler pully tensioner kit, just because they are probably original. Would this cause the engine to smell kinda hot? I'm also gonna pickup the top hose tee that Abran sells so I can get rid of that plastic bleeder screw. When I can afford it I'll replace the plastic coolant tank with one of Abrans aluminum ones. Still waiting for my kid to return my code reader so I can check any codes. I searched the HOW TO section of the forum but didnt see any write ups on replacing the idler tensioner and the pullys. My kid has replaced the serpintine on his P38 so I'm not worried about that. Do I need a special tool to remove the fan, or is it even necessary? Anything else I should replace? Thanks...

Old 08-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Remove serp belt, unbolt pulley. Bolt on new pulley . Reinstall serp belt.
Take a photo of the way your belt is on before you take it off - comes in handy when your putting belt back on

not sure what you mean when you say “smells hot”

ive had one of the pulleys fail on me by way of the bearing seizing- Inturn the serp belt rode on it and burned the belt so to speak -

Last edited by SundayFunday; 08-22-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

8 years ago my belt was chirping. Over the course of a year, replaced the belt, all idlers and tensioner, and the belt again. When the 2nd new belt finally came apart, I saw the root cause:
My power steering pulley had moved forward on the steering pump shaft 1/8 an inch causing the belt to hit that pulley at an angle. (No the 3 bolts were not loose. The flange the pulley bolts to had moved forward on pump shaft). Replaced the pump with a spare and been fine since.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:57 PM
Mudding

thanks, I will check that as well!

Quick Reply: Chirping under the hood