Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choking Rover

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choking Rover

Interesting problem whenever my tank gets relatively low (just under a 1/4 tank) mainly on my morning commute my 96 disco with 145k starts sputtering and slowing down like its choking for gas. I just changed my fuel filter about 2 weeks ago and its still doing. the only solution I have found is to get more gas and add gas treatment or octane booster and that seems to work. Do I have a junk in the bottom of my tank or a fuel pump problem?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Choking Rover

It very well could be junk that is causing your gas tank to show more gas when there really isnt as much. When it gets low it will start doing what you described. I have heard of a few cases on here where over time the gas tank had alot of junk build up, and with your year and mileage that could be the case. You need to have that checked, I'm not sure if you can clean it out or what, someone on here will know right away. For the time being dont let it get to low because you might be getting a higher gas readout than you actaully have.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your fuel pump is about to fail, when the tank is low, the pump over heats and has a harder time pumping.
If your not into spending the BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ soon, keep your tank above 1/2 tank and never let it drop.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Drifting

Yikes I was afraid of that. Any ideas as to how long I can get away with doing that before I have to fork over the cash for a new pump? Is it very intensive labor or could I handle if I am moderately handy?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Keep your tank fuul.
It is an easy job to replace, wait till it get worse though.
There is an after market GM pump that will work in your truc which is really cheap, under $100.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, easy to replace the pump. There is an access panel under the carpet in the back of the trunk. YOu don't have to drop the tank...

Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the quick replies. I will keep it above a half a tank and start looking for a new pump soon.