Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chugging / Missing Problem on 98 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chugging / Missing Problem on 98 Disco

Have a 98 Disco 1 with 75k miles. Normally runs great. A few months back after sitting for a week in an airport garage, it started sputtering, chugging and running like the Catalytic Convertor was completely jacked or the timing was way off.

Had it towed to a shop ( a seasoned rover mechanic) found to have codes for a bad camshaft and crankshaft sensors - both were replaced.

Problem disappeared, for a while.....

Back in shop again. No code errors, the poor running problem doesn't always happen - only sometimes (usually when my need for the truck is pressing)

My mechanic replaced the timing chain, and tested known good ECM, Air Flow Meter and Catalytic Convertor. Yet the problem remains, it seems to get worse (poor running, chugging, missing, it sounds and feels exhaust related) when placing load on engine or fast starts. Some days it runs just fine, on other days it is undriveable and can not accelerate over 25mph and sounds bloody aweful.

Any ideas? We've tested or replaced the following items:

ECM, Convertor, Air Flow Meter, Timing Chain, Crank Shaft Sensor, Camshaft Sensor

Could this be water related? It seems to be worse when it rains. Which is kinda crazy.
Thanks - Peter

Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Chugging / Missing Problem on 98 Disco

Stop throwing money at at it! Classic symptoms of worn out spark plug wires on these engines. Put on a new set of Magnecor wires and new plugs.

Then find yourself a new Rover mechanic.

Dave

Old 05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Mudding

I agree, When I got my 95 used a year ago same thing, changed the plugs that didn't help, changed the wires and that was all it was!!!!! Has been fine since. The dealer I bought it from knocked off $500 off the price for the running rough when I bought it.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the response guys.

Here a little more info. My mechanic was working on it for a while - and ultimately didn't charge me for any labor, since he didn't figure it out. The problem is very intermitent, I drove it all weekend without any trouble and with the new timing chain it seems like a new truck.

Until this morning, it started - but didn't sound quite right. The exterior of the truck was very wet from the rain last night. I could not accererate beyond 10 MPH - and it chugged and sputtered like it was being strangled. I read on the forum that the MAF may be faulty and disconnected it and cleaned with MAF cleaner. I let it dry and reconnected, no difference. I let it sit for a bit, then on a whim I disconnected the electrical connections to the MAF and removed the AIR FILTER, then started the car. It sounded great. I reconnected MAF, replaced AIR Filter and it is back to running great - although with a little hesitation.

Given this - what the heck is going on? Is my MAF on the fritz? Did starting without the MAF connected rest the signal to the ECU? Ideas? Do you think there may be a water issue?

Also on the forum someone mentioned clearing the Sedimenter for the fuel line, do non- Disels have those?

Thanks again. Peter

I bought new wires and plugs as reccomended and will install tonight.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: pedro_malo

T

Also on the forum someone mentioned clearing the Sedimenter for the fuel line, do non- Disels have those?

Thanks again. Peter

No Sedimeter, but disco 1's have a fuel filter above the right rear wheel. A real booger to get off, but you should change it out.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If it happens when it is really wet or humid then that is classic signs of bad plug wires ot distribitor cap, but you dont have one of those, so...must be the wires.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Cheap wires don't hold up on these engines....sometimes crapping out after less than 1K miles. Get the best wires money can buy...lots of folks here swear by the Magnecor brand for the Rover engine. Or put the wires you bought on tonight and then order the Magnecors to go on next time you get a free weekend.

I'll bet a pastrami on rye that it's the plug wires.

Dave

Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys -

We should find out soon. It rained last night and is humid as all get out this AM. I'd love to owe ya a pastrami and rye. The bad wire and humidity diagnosis make sense, this New Mexico Disco - wasn't brought up to deal with HOTlanata weather. I threw on the best the local part store had in stock. Will order Magnecor brand.

P-

Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the response guys.

Here a little more info. My mechanic was working on it for a while - and ultimately didn't charge me for any labor, since he didn't figure it out. The problem is very intermitent, I drove it all weekend without any trouble and with the new timing chain it seems like a new truck.

Until this morning, it started - but didn't sound quite right. The exterior of the truck was very wet from the rain last night. I could not accererate beyond 10 MPH - and it chugged and sputtered like it was being strangled. I read on the forum that the MAF may be faulty and disconnected it and cleaned with MAF cleaner. I let it dry and reconnected, no difference. I let it sit for a bit, then on a whim I disconnected the electrical connections to the MAF and removed the AIR FILTER, then started the car. It sounded great. I reconnected MAF, replaced AIR Filter and it is back to running great - although with a little hesitation.

Given this - what the heck is going on? Is my MAF on the fritz? Did starting without the MAF connected rest the signal to the ECU? Ideas? Do you think there may be a water issue?

Thanks again. Peter

You need to quit playing with things you know little about. You never just clean or unhook a MAF, unless you want to buy a new when when you are done with it.
Does you check engine light come on when you turn your keu to the 2nd. position?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Well - It looks like the new plug wires did NOT do the trick. Although- I drove the truck on a number of errands last night following the install of new plug and wires - it ran great. This morning (8AM) it was missing and chugging like mad. It was increadibly humid this morning - don't know if that is related. The check engine light did come on. Popped the hood checked all the wire connections, everything was connected correctly - left hood open. Just now (10AM) started and sounds fine, although check engine light is still on. It is significantly less humid right now.

Will take Mike's advice on the MAF, although a bunch of folks recommend cleaning.

I just don't get whats going on, runs fine sometime and is a bloddy chugging and gasping mess at others.

Ideas? Is there possibility of a humidity sensor issue? Since I live in Atlanta this could be a pretty big issue.

looking forward to a Pastrami on Rye.

Quick Reply: Chugging / Missing Problem on 98 Disco