Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clacking from the front-end, or Let's play "Find that noise!"

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clacking from the front-end, or Let's play "Find that noise!" [Solved]

First post!

I have a 2004 Discovery II with about 115k miles that's making a "clacking" sound from somewhere below the truck towards the front.

• It's speed dependent: Begins just after starting off from a stop and progressively clacks faster as my speed goes up.

• It *mostly* goes away when under hard acceleration.

• It *mostly* goes away (or allows for another similar sound to be heard quietly) when coasting in neutral at speeds that would otherwise clack when in drive.

• It does not make the sound while revving in park.

• My butt-in-the-seat tells me that there's some additional "drag" on the truck.

• I can sometimes hear what I can only describe as the sound of a distant semi-truck's jake-brake when at highway speeds. Not quite a whirring, but perhaps related to the "drag" I mention above.

• My wife says she's heard a faint ticking – probably a precursor to this sound – for some time but it has only become (very) noticeable to me in the last week.

I walked next to the truck as my wife drove at the slowest clack-producing speed and the sound seems like it's coming more from an area inline with the front axle than from the transmission. I did check the transmission fluid level and ensured it was topped up, though that had no effect on the sound.

I know that it has a leak in the transfer case (but I'm a newb and better at computers than cars and haven't yet figured out how to check/fill its fluid).

Thoughts? Could it just be missing fluid in the transfer case? (What kind of fluid do I put in the transfer case, even? And where do I put it?)

Thanks!

Last edited by orangechicken; 10-09-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have to checked your front drive shaft that is probably falling out?

Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Transfer case should have gear oil in it. It's very easy to drain and refill. Check the following link for for a link the rave manual..it's in Mike signature. If you haven't changed the T-case oil, do that and see what happens. ALSO CHECK THE FRONT SHAFT FOR ANY PLAY BEFORE YOU DRIVE IT ANYMORE.....Do you know if the front prop shaft has ever been rebuilt?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...service-29020/

Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm with Drow, sounds like your shaft is about to violently mutilate your transmission.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:49 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Have no fear, I have a couple of nice transmissions in stock for '03/'04 DII's.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM
7th Gear

I topped up the transfer case and the sound remains.

I don't know if the prop shaft has been rebuilt. Certainly hasn't by me in the two years I've owned the truck.

I'll check the driveshaft for any play. When you say driveshaft, are you meaning the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front differential or from the differential to the wheels? (I assume none should have any play.) And to check them, just yank on them?

If there *is* play, what then? Get the driveshaft rebuilt?

I'll try to get a video containing the sound later this evening (but in general will avoid driving it). Thanks for all of your help!

Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

It may not be immediately visible, remove it and have it rebuilt or buy a new one

Old 10-03-2014, 01:22 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The factory front drive shaft, from the Tcase to the diff, is a sealed unit with no grease zerks on the u joints.

A rebuilt shaft would have zerks either on the end caps or in one valley of the cross. It should be obvious if you see multiple zerks.

If you have had the truck two years and have not greased the front drive shaft then whether it is sealed or serviceable is probably mute.

Get it checked ASAP.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:02 PM
7th Gear

Hey, nice to see another Seattleite! (I'm technically in Renton/Issaquah, but who's counting).

Wow. I had no idea regular maintenance on this thing included greasing the driveshafts! Driveshafts have been the pain of the month for me (picking up a BMW driveshaft from Drivelines NW this afternoon)

I'll check it out.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 PM
7th Gear

If it is the driveshaft, can I remove the front driveshaft and drive the truck while I wait for it to be rebuilt (or delivered from GBR)?

Quick Reply: Clacking from the front-end, or Let's play "Find that noise!"